Fodder types--nutrition and practical suggestions

vivaciouswoman

Songster
Sep 14, 2015
I've been feeding my girls a mixture of something like 95-99% wheat seed fodder with a little bit of chia, flax, and sunflower added for variety. The wheat is easy to work with, and increasing the "superfood" chia and flax seeds is highly problematic--they are mucilaginous seeds that really make successful sprouting without mold/spoilage difficult in higher concentrations. That's super frustrating, because I would LOVE to increase their Essential Fatty Acids the way I do my human and canine kids!

So, I want to increase healthy oils and protein for my girls, whose range is about to get cut very short, and their ability to get grubs, worms, and bugs is about to be severely restricted.

What I would *LOVE* is a chart that compares the protein, fat, and other nutrient contents of various *fodder* types (the usual--wheat, barley, but also legumes and others like clover, brassicas, alfalfa, rye, soy, oats, millet, lentils, peas, mung beans, black turtle beans, etc.). Note--FODDER nutritional information, not the nutritional information on the seeds themselves. But I can't find any such thing. Does anyone out there...

1. Have any information about the nutritional value of these various sprouted seeds/legumes?
2. Have any experience with switching to them or adding them to existing grain sprout-fodder projects? So, like if I try to sprout to fodder a cup of soy, am I going to run into unexpected problems like I did with the chia and flax? I doubt soy is mucilaginous, but...ya know. Unexpected problems are just that. Unexpected.
3. And yeah, I would be seeking out non-GMO, which could pose its own practical market availability problems, probably. Is that going to be a huge hurdle for any of these options?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Last edited:
Nobody? Does this mean I've hit a boring topic, or am I at the edge of what's known? Or what? Thinking of looking into the nutritional information about sprouts. I'm wondering how indicative that would be of the nutritional value of the grains/legumes/seeds at grass stage.

I've been looking into it also although I'm not planning to mix seeds as they require different soak times and they say it ends up waisting more. But I believe you will find the lack of response is because there are several other big threads about feeding fodder, if you search for it in betting you might find your answers there...

Last edited:
What I would *LOVE* is a chart that compares the protein, fat, and other nutrient contents of various *fodder* types (the usual--wheat, barley, but also legumes and others like clover, brassicas, alfalfa, rye, soy, oats, millet, lentils, peas, mung beans, black turtle beans, etc.). Note--FODDER nutritional information, not the nutritional information on the seeds themselves. But I can't find any such thing. Does anyone out there...

Well, the problem is that chickens don't process fibrous plants very well.
Most of the nutrition that is in fodder go's right into there stool because they cant abstract it from the fibrous plants so I really don't think your going to find a chart for chickens.
Also keep in mind that animals will process foods (including fodder) differently so you will need a chart for chickens only.

The chickens digestive system is more designed to process grains, young sprouts and animal products and less designed for grasses.

Well, the problem is that chickens don't process fibrous plants very well.
Most of the nutrition that is in fodder go's right into there stool because they cant abstract it from the fibrous plants so I really don't think your going to find a chart for chickens.
Also keep in mind that animals will process foods (including fodder) differently so you will need a chart for chickens only.

The chickens digestive system is more designed to process grains, young sprouts and animal products and less designed for grasses.
Ohhhhhhhhhh!! That's interesting! Thank you!

I've been looking into it also although I'm not planning to mix seeds as they require different soak times and they say it ends up waisting more. But I believe you will find the lack of response is because there are several other big threads about feeding fodder, if you search for it in betting you might find your answers there...
Thank you!

So are fermented grains more cost effective and nutritious instead of the fodder.
also, I have read that seeds or grains that are sprouted do not have much more
nutrition than the actual growing big foods.??????

Fermenting makes some nutrients more available. I bought whole organic corn for my chickens, and they wouldn't eat it. So I soaked it a couple of days, which is the beginning of the fermentation process, and then blended the softened corn in my blender and they would go CRAZY over it.

I make my own feed I add all these grains in equal quantity (white corn,yellow corn,wheat grain,Millet grain,scratch) and these are with 10% ratio of major grains (seasame seed,flash seed,rice) and oats half ratio of major grains .
Is these ingredients are ok to feed or not

I make my own feed I add all these grains in equal quantity (white corn,yellow corn,wheat grain,Millet grain,scratch) and these are with 10% ratio of major grains (seasame seed,flash seed,rice) and oats half ratio of major grains .
Is these ingredients are ok to feed or not
Great questions, thank you for asking!

Homemade feed is a trend we are seeing today with some backyard flocks. These homemade diets may actually sprout digestive trouble and hurt your flock. With a made-from-scratch formula at home, you can’t be sure of the nutritional value and proper proportion of each ingredient without consulting an expert. Not to mention, mixing or adding extra ingredients is a lot of unnecessary work and expense.

We only recommend feeding a complete and balanced feed. Birds will sort and can ingest too little or too much of a particular feed at the expense of the most critical nutrients. Feeding a good poultry starter or grower feed would be the most appropriate feed to provide. Learn about Purina's complete feeds here: https://www.purinamills.com/chicken-feed

Back
Top Bottom