Fodder

Hey MSTK I'm looking into this as well and looking for a small scale system for 7 birds. I've just started looking into it and would be interested to see how your project turns out. It's interesting that you have a lid on your set up as most others I've seen have been open air citing mold could be a problem with the humidity that comes putting a lid on. What type of seed did you end up going with? Are you using supplemental lights? Looking forward to updates.

OK, so I was on another site and saw this amazing setup a guy used with buckets. You for a "small scale" would really benefit from this method. I found it for you. http://brinkoffreedom.net/homesteading/dead-simple-fodder-system/. I especially love the swale.

As to seeds. Best to grow barley. You can mix if you like (sunflowers float so keep that in mind when making fodder. Barley has more protein, so this should be the big one for you. I also sprout soft white wheat and hard winter (though it costs more). I sometimes add rye and triticale. If I only had to pick one seed, I would buy barley the rest are just icing. Oh, make sure barley has the hull. Oats are a complete waste of time so don't bother with them. They are super sparse on the harvest. :)

Back
Top Bottom