Folks will NOT listen

ledzepfan4evr

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 14, 2011
For two years now, I have been obseesed with chickens. I do not have any of my own but I want them really bad. My folks are like, "Maybe you might get them for your birthday. But you haven't shown any responsibility." Really... Well getting a job isn't responsible, babysitting is definatly not resonsible. Cleaning and doing your chores AND your sisters is not at all responsible. They know I really want chickens. Yeah, wish me luck with the old folks.

When you live with parents, they make the rules. They likely don't want chickens and so they use that reasoning that you aren't responsible. But think about it from their standpoint. If you go on a class trip, who will care for them? They will. If you are going to college? They will. And they are likely concerned you will lose interest and they'll be stuck with having to deal with the chickens.

Sure, you can make a good case to them so they can mull it over. But in the end, their house, their rules.

Last edited:
Oh........ they hear you. They're just not giving in to you. Don't be a brat about it (not saying you are or not) - that may be your down fall. Act like an adult and talk to them about what you can do to prove that you are responsible to manage and care for the birds.

Here's a suggestion: get a good education so you can qualify for a good job.

Leave home, buy your own house, and you can have all the chickens you want--- subject to zoning and CCR's, of course. (hint: you are never old enough to do exactly what you want without someone telling you what to do)

Sometimes you have to wait till you move out on your own to get some things. My family was like this with dogs. I never wanted chickens back when I was a kids,but even if I did zoning would have prevented it.Save and move out when you can. So many cheap houses these days that with a decent credit you can get a nice place at quite a young age.

I have a feeling there havent been any KIDS posting on here...
hu.gif

Hey, I'm one of those 'old folks' - like in REALLY old folks.
wink.png
My suggestion - call the question. Ask them what you have to do to exhibit more 'responsibility'. Politely indicate what you have recounted here and then say, "What more can I do to show that I am ready to accept the responsibility of chicken ownership?"

Good luck.

I have a feeling there havent been any KIDS posting on here...
hu.gif

Here's something from a kid... Being a kid can SUCK. Really suck. Especially when you are on the brink of being an almost-adult but the parents don't seem to realize it. Almost-adult responsibilities, but being talked to like you are a child. ("Because I said so," etc.)
I second what Sourland said. Define YOUR definition of responsibility, and ask them what else you will have to do in order to meet THEIR definition. Like I said, it sucks sometimes, but the parents DO call the shots.
I'm not saying you do this, (although come on... We ALL do this sometimes) but doing your chores probably doesn't count if mom and dad are always having to get on your back about it.
Remember that in addition to sucking, being a kid can be pretty cool, too. I had the flu this last week, and because I wasn't off and college or in an apartment by myself, I had people to take care of me. We don't have to file the taxes. We don't have to worry about the utility bills. We don't have to think too much about saving for retirement yet.
So just hang in there... We won't be kids forever.

Back
Top Bottom