food and oyster shell question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by henryetta, Jun 13, 2009.

1. henryetta

henryetta Songster

May 21, 2009
    san diego, cali
    Well, i feel like a REALL newbie at chickens but actually, i have had them in the country for 20 years. Now being in the city with chickens i feel it's such an all new thing. So, my question is, i just got my first and very beautiful brown egg from my girl and then i read on her Nutrina bag of lay crumbles, that she should now be getting oyster shell. I feel bad because i've never used it before but dont know if this is a "brand" thing or just what i should have been doing with any lay feed all those years. Also grit! My girls are free range on 1/3 acre all day do they still need that too? and if anyone has the"perfect" brand of lay food, i'd love to hear about it... Thanks so much for any info/advice on this.

2. dykeswa

dykeswa In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Greenville Texas
    The only thing that he might be talking about is to give them something in their crop to gringd the grain up we like to use a little ground granite in our feed this does not to much calcium build up on the egg shell so we can hatch them in a bator....
    WAD

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    they oyster shell is to help make their egg shells strong [​IMG]

4. dykeswa

dykeswa In the Brooder

Jun 3, 2009
    Greenville Texas
    I understand that also but the eggs we get from our Buff O's are so thick you almost have to have a chainsaw for them that is why we use the granite they get plenty of calcium from their lay pellets,...
    WAD

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: