Food and water in the henhouse (pros and cons)?

Pros: They have food and water when they wake up so I can SLEEP IN!!!!!

Yeah! That!
lol.png

Actually, I started putting water and food in the coop when the kids went back to school. Mornings are kinda chaotic with 3 kids in 2 different schools, plus a wife to feed and kick out of the house, so I usually don't get started on chores until 8:30 to 9am after I get back from dropping off the preschooler.

Of course, when the weather went toward and then below zero for a few weeks the hens didn't want to go out side anyway.

Cons:

I had to cut off about 8" of one end of the main roost to keep poop out of the water. My coop is pretty small, so the floorspace is limited, and I have the water and food both up on cinderblocks to keep wood chips out. I have to dodge the feeder on my way into the coop.​

My water and food are on the other side of the coop from the roost and raised off the floor to keep stuff out of them. Also from the picture below I have a patio block under the food and water to help with spill cleanup and also from flooring getting in the them.

36893_feed.jpg

I keep all food and water inside the coop at all times. Living in the PNW it rains a LOT and dampness is everywhere. So by keeping it inside I have much less risk for me anyway, of rodents, birds, pests, and mildewy food. They are inside a lot by thier choice due to the weather, so they need to have it inside.

The waterer is up on blocks, and doesnt drip or really get dirty much. Only in the summer when it is unseasonably hot for here like last summer <105 degrees?!?!?!> did we put water outside for them.

The coop is located in a semi shady spot, so the water stays cool in the summer and in the winter it isnt that much of a problem. We just put fresh out every day.

In the run they get treats if the weather is good. If weather is bad we have things inside for them to nibble on and search for...generally keep busy.

The food is in a hanging feeder so not much is wasted if any, and the waterer is up on blocks.

Well I am surprised at all of you inside feeders.

I feed and water outside, my coop is small too, really only room in there for the roost and nest boxes. If we are in a blizzard, with heavy snow falling I will put the food down in the coop in front of the roost. But I only do this maybe twice a year. I don't like the idea of attracting rodents into my coop.

Anyway, my girls get fed once a day most days, I do have quite a bit of hay down for them to scratch in in the run. If we get snow, I just flip the hay over, and they have something dryer to walk and stand on. I put the feed down on that. I do have an elevated on a old brick tray to put food on, and I use it, but I also just put it down on the ground and everyone seems to do just fine. In the old days they all feed them on the ground. I do not have a lot of food waste, it is pretty cleaned up each day.

I don't really think it is crucial, either way. mk

My feeder and waterer are inside. My DH made the feeder to hang on the wall, it is filled at all times.

My waterer is inside. Now that it is so cold I have two cement blocks, I put the heater base on these and the waterer on that. It is high enough so they can't kick their bedding in it..(I use the deep bedding method). Water is always clean when I refill it daily.

In the summer I also put a waterer outside. So they have one inside and out.

Last edited:
I have food and water inside and out. However, I keep a nightlight on (or heat lamp if its really cold) during the night, so they could make use of the food/water if they wanted to. Like others suggested, I don't think they do much night time eating/drinking. But they're typically up far before me, and I know they eat and drink as soon as they're up. But my water has never frozen, which is nice. And because I leave my pop door open during the day, even if their outside water freezes during the day, they can get water inside the coop. So far, I've found no disadvantages to keeping food/water inside my coop.

Reedy - If you posted pics of your set-up, you might get some good suggestions of how you could place a feeder/waterer...

Food inside, water inside, extra water outside when free ranging. Keep dampness off the floor of the coop; keep birds off the water; keep water clean and access to food 1" above chicks back to keep them from shoveling feed out of feeder. Feed pellets to 8 week and older birds, it is less likely to be shoveled out of feeder than crumbles. Outside feed brings rodents and other unwanted marauders. Don't let them find out there is food in your run or coop. It will give them something to think about 24x7 especially when they are cold and hungry..... Predators are relentless and want to eat your birds and their feed. They are very good at what they do otherwise they would not be surviving.

Cheerz

Back
Top Bottom