Food and water spills from chicken’s beak when she bends down to peck at the ground.

AChickenBoi

Songster
Oct 13, 2019
My 3-4 year old hen, Rocky, has been having these issues for a long while. I thought it was a symptom of sour crop, so when I isolated her to reset her digestive system, she became more lively and a completely normal chicken. However, water, bits of food, and other stuff still spills from her crop and out of her beak when she bends down to eat. She has no problem with eating as long as it’s elevated, and is healthy in every other aspect other than her weight (super skinny from this very problem and her pickiness), but this still happens.

I’ve gotten 0 helpful conclusions so far, and while I have no problem having her food elevated and giving her special attention, I would like to have an explanation so I can help her- and so I would know what to do in the future if any other members of the flock have this issue.

Here’s previous threads for more extensive information:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...g-ongoing-symptoms-please-help.1549965/unread

Here’s a list of foods that I know she would gladly eat (her favorites):
-Boiled egg yolk, separated from whites and mashed into a semi-solid consistency (sometimes will put apple cider vinegar in and some herbs to entice her)
-sunflower seeds you would find in wild bird seed
-blueberries
-applesauce
-plain white yogurt (sometimes)
-pasta and bread (only fed to her on occasion)
-lizards and bugs
-dried mealworms

I don’t know why she’s so picky. She was raised on the same diet the others were fed. I think it has something to do with the texture of the foods, as she clicks her beak, holds it in her beak, and shakes her head when eating foods she doesn’t like. She especially dislikes gritty food, like the normal crumble feed they’re given. She also dislikes foods that are too hard or squishy (boiled egg whites or scrambled eggs).

I want to help put weight back on her, but she makes it very hard for me to do that. Any help on her crop issues and her weird relationship with food is GREATLY appreciated!

Is her crop emptying overnight?
It doesn’t empty fully sometimes, but it seems to be good for the most part. Rocky will still eat and chomp down on food, but she’s very choosy about how big the food is. She will hold it in her beak, before dropping it if she doesn’t like it for some reason. I’m hoping to schedule a visit to the avian vet with her, but I’m not really flush with cash right now, and I might not get an answer without several tests.

My apologies for not answering sooner. Stress and other stuff is piling up on me, and it can be hard to get back to things.

It doesn’t empty fully sometimes, but it seems to be good for the most part. Rocky will still eat and chomp down on food, but she’s very choosy about how big the food is. She will hold it in her beak, before dropping it if she doesn’t like it for some reason. I’m hoping to schedule a visit to the avian vet with her, but I’m not really flush with cash right now, and I might not get an answer without several tests.

My apologies for not answering sooner. Stress and other stuff is piling up on me, and it can be hard to get back to things.
I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time.

If her crop is not emptying overnight, then you can try treating her at home. Follow the info in the link below. Coconut oil is always a good place to start, but you made need to treat as sour as well even if you don't notice a yeasty odor just yet.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Update: Rocky has passed away. I wish I pushed for a vet visit earlier. I feel awful. I’ve had her for nearly 4 years, and I loved my goosey-girl so much. I blame myself so much for her passing away, and not being there for her. I didn’t want to let her go when it came to burying her. I wanted to hold and coddle her body, even if there were ants crawling on her. I didn’t care. I just wanted to hold her close, my poor, poor baby. I loved her, and I let her down by not loving her more. I’m never going to hold her again, or rub her ears. I came to terms with her fading away in the days leading up to her death, but it still hurts so much when I imagine her in my head. I’m so, so, sorry, Rocky. Mama is so, so sorry.

983287B8-E35E-408B-87C3-CC2AE15A6C13.jpeg
Rocky
My little baby from heaven
I hope to hold you again one day, and cross the rainbow bridge with you and everyone else when that day comes
2018-2022​

Attachments

• A2BD9CA1-7E0D-47C6-A202-491E9BBE1B15.jpeg
    A2BD9CA1-7E0D-47C6-A202-491E9BBE1B15.jpeg
    567.8 KB · Views: 4
  • F4C463B0-86AC-4326-9608-617FFFF724A2.jpeg
    F4C463B0-86AC-4326-9608-617FFFF724A2.jpeg
    439.6 KB · Views: 4
  • A39B3334-0F76-4E4C-B02B-5B538A009AF2.jpeg
    A39B3334-0F76-4E4C-B02B-5B538A009AF2.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 4
  • B37475E4-6434-483B-B619-005F23748FA8.jpeg
    B37475E4-6434-483B-B619-005F23748FA8.jpeg
    320.2 KB · Views: 4
Update: Rocky has passed away. I wish I pushed for a vet visit earlier. I feel awful. I’ve had her for nearly 4 years, and I loved my goosey-girl so much. I blame myself so much for her passing away, and not being there for her. I didn’t want to let her go when it came to burying her. I wanted to hold and coddle her body, even if there were ants crawling on her. I didn’t care. I just wanted to hold her close, my poor, poor baby. I loved her, and I let her down by not loving her more. I’m never going to hold her again, or rub her ears. I came to terms with her fading away in the days leading up to her death, but it still hurts so much when I imagine her in my head. I’m so, so, sorry, Rocky. Mama is so, so sorry.
I'm sorry to hear about Rocky:hugs

Back
Top Bottom