Food and water

brittneydressel

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2021
I put my chicks under a lamp but they were to cold and almost died . I warmed them back up in the incubator till i get a new lamp . I have some chickens that still need to hatch because they had a longer incubation period . can I out food and water in there or will it mess up the other chicks when they hatch ?

Not sure if you have everything covered with setting up a good brooder. Thought I throw in some guidelines.
Have heat source at one end of brooder, allowing the further end to be slightly cooler. This way chicks can find their comfort zone.

Keep feed crumbles, and water at cooler end.

If you use a dish for water, make sure it is not too deep. Chicks do drown,,, and many individuals place marbles into water to prevent that.

Lower the temperature of brooder by 5°F each week.

Can you please take a picture of your heat lamp and set up where you had the chicks that you thought it was too cold.

Do not withhold feed in water... The sooner they start eating and drinking the better.

can I out food and water in there or will it mess up the other chicks when they hatch ?
One of my problems with a staggered hatch in an incubator is that the first chicks that hatch poop pretty soon after they hatch. In the incubators with high humidity or open water underneath, that poop can start to stink in two or three days. If it starts to stink that means bacteria are present that can enter the shells of the unhatched chicks and kill them. Adding water for them to drink will raise the humidity even more. Putting food in in there can increase food for bacteria. Food tends to get scattered and if it is in water it can spoil pretty soon. I don't know if you will need to clean out that incubator for your next hatch. If it starts to stink I think you need to.

I understand why you put them back in the incubator, it may have been the decision that saved their lives. I don't know how much difference you have in when this hatch is over and the next ones hatch. You are in a unique situation since your brooder was not warm enough. Photos of your brooder set-up may help us make suggestions about that. Also, where is that brooder, in a climate controlled location like inside your house or exposed to temperature shifts?

The chicks can go over 72 hours without food or water since they absorbed the yolk when they hatched. That's why they can be mailed. Some people have ideal situations but you don't. My suggestion is to do what you have to in the short, whether that involves food and more water in the incubator or not. And if you smell the incubator get it cleaned up. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom