food at both levels?

I would just have one area...where it is simplest for you to get to and supply the food and water.

* Water on both levels, food downstairs during the day. I would remove the food at night. Chickens don't eat at night, but rats & mice, racoons, etc. Do! Besides not wanting dew or rain to wet it.

My coop is the same set up -- coop up, run down. I have the food upstairs where it's more likely to remain dry, and locked up tight at night, and I keep the water downstairs where a spill is less likely to mean trouble.

And now that the my flock has been free ranging, the water is usually not even in the coop, it's outside my side door. they don't go int he coop until it's almost dark, and by then they don't seem to get down of the roosts for anything during the night. I let them out in the am and give them fresh water at that point. they seem fine.

What a good question- our coop requires that the hens go up a ramp to a platform, exit via a chicken door to another platform outdoors and descend by ramp into their secure run. I was wondering the same thing- and though I'll have wtaer in both locations I didn't know what might work for food...

Back
Top Bottom