food chickens cant resist?

KenRu

Hatching
Feb 14, 2021
I am trying to catch a chicken that has made my backyard its home. I had her closed her in a hutch I built but she was able to escape, now she wont go near the hutch and I must try some other method.
I am wondering if anyone knows of a food that chickens cannot resist that I can set in a dog crate and from a distance pull the door shut. or if anyone knows of good non traumatic way to catch this girl I would appreciate any feedback

j
Where does she sleep at night? Sometimes it's just easier to sneak up on them when they're sleeping.
Unlikely I'll find her asleep I do not know where she sleeps since she flies up into a tree walks across the telephone wire and disappears only to come back in the morning looking for food. After she eats its then back up into the tree and pretty much hangs out in the tree the remainder of the day coming down periodically looking for food.
I’ve been feeding it chicken feed And it seems pretty happy with that But need to do some thing about it’s so that it has a good home and a good life

I am wondering if anyone knows of a food that chickens cannot resist
It depends on the chicken.
I've had good results with wet chicken feed (just a commercial, complete chicken food + water.) The chickens seem to think it's a real treat, and will ignore their dry chicken food to gobble the wet food. For a single chicken, maybe a tablespoon of chicken food plus some water would be a good amount.

If you put out a small dish once a day, the chicken will probably have to think about that new thing at first--but after several days, she might come running when she sees you with the dish.

I’ve been feeding it chicken feed And it seems pretty happy with that But need to do some thing about it’s so that it has a good home and a good life
You could put the chicken feed near the crate, and leave it for a day or two. Then, when you know the chicken is eating the food there, move it a little closer to the crate the next day. After a few days, you can hopefully have the chicken going into the crate to eat the food. After the chicken is going in to eat, you'd set your trap.

You said she hangs around for food. When you take the food out in the morning, put it in the dog crate so she is forced to go in if she wants to eat. You can also throw live or dried mealworms, berries and other snacks like suggested and she will finally have to go in.

I am trying to catch a chicken that has made my backyard its home. I had her closed her in a hutch I built but she was able to escape, now she wont go near the hutch and I must try some other method.
I am wondering if anyone knows of a food that chickens cannot resist that I can set in a dog crate and from a distance pull the door shut. or if anyone knows of good non traumatic way to catch this girl I would appreciate any feedback
My chickens cannot resist an ear of corn or cantalope.

Back
Top Bottom