food coloring in water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by TreyClark281, Aug 16, 2007.

1. TreyClark281

TreyClark281 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2007
    around Katy, Tx
    i have a white kinda clear water can i put red food coloring in it to see where i am at on water?? i want to be able to see it from the window.
    i go out there and splash all the dirt out of it 5 times a day it seems like but i never know how much i have unless i hold it up to the sun and try to see the line lol.
    i put red food coloring in the humming bird feeders why not the chicken water?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2007
  2. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    It won't hurt the chickens, but if it's the white plastic waterer I'd think the food coloring would eventually color the whole inside red and you wouldn't be able to tell anyways. I could be wrong though...

3. EboyDog

EboyDog Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2007
    Hallsville MO
    Try putting a piece of styrofoam in the water which will float, even better paint it with non-latex paint a bright color.

I do this with two 5 gallon water's I have which are those clouded white which you can barely see the water level, with the foam in them, I can see the water level30 yards away otherwise I have to open them up or pick them to feel how they weigh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by