Food for integrating chicks into flock?

zimileih

Songster
Mar 28, 2021
I currently have my hens on layer pellets. When my chicks are about 8-10 weeks I plan on starting to integrating them into the flock. Should I transition to all flock until the chicks are 18 weeks? Any recommendations on how to feed the flock until they can go on layer feed? I already provide oyster shell in its own bowl as well as layer feed for the hens. The chicks are on unmedicated crumble.

Also, can the chicks start having normal sized grit once they are that age or should I provide separate bowls of normal and chick grit?

I currently have my hens on layer pellets. When my chicks are about 8-10 weeks I plan on starting to integrating them into the flock. Should I transition to all flock until the chicks are 18 weeks? Any recommendations on how to feed the flock until they can go on layer feed? I already provide oyster shell in its own bowl as well as layer feed for the hens. The chicks are on unmedicated crumble.

Also, can the chicks start having normal sized grit once they are that age or should I provide separate bowls of normal and chick grit?
I would feed all the unmedicated crumble feed.
But since you are feeding pellets to your hens, you could feed all a All-flock flock pellet feed if you desire.
I would transition to a normal/Adult size Grit at 7 weeks with the Chick Grit available till 10 weeks.
I feed all my chickens, Pullets and Hens a Non-medicated Starter-Grower feed 18% with Oyster Shells separately year round for the higher Protein.
I haven't fed a Layers feed in more than 3 years.
20210327_054353.jpg

GC

Back
Top Bottom