Food getting wet!

hlroudeb

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
I am currently using a plastic dog house inside of a run. If want to keep the food dry, I have to put it inside the doghouse, which is not real accessable for everyday feeding.

The way my set up is, my food is outside. But everytime it rains the food gets wet. I can not seem to find a feeder that protects the food from getting wet? Any suggestions?

I'm starting to get worried as Indiana Winters are fast aproaching!

Heather - Noblesville IN

2 buff orphs.

Wet feed = possibly moldy feed = sick chickens

Are you planning on having the birds eat outdoors all winter? They at the very least will need some protection from wind, rain, snow, blizzards.......

Cover the run or figure a way to enlarge the dog house so the food can be inside.

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a range feeder, or you can cover yours some how. maybe a dog kennel? I had mine hung in my run which is covered. Now I have it hanging in the coop.
idunno.gif

RSF_150.jpg

Last edited:
Can you make a little covered area for their food, like the run in shelters they use for horses? Something with a roof and three sides? It only has to be large enough for the feeder and your chickens to fit in it. Only the roof has to be solid, the sides could just be plastic sheeting.

A plastic doghouse is going to be pretty rough winter quarters for chickens in Indiana...
sad.png
Even if you surround it in a mound of haybales for insulation, you will have ventilation problems (translation: stink, frostbite and respiratory problems) and what are the chickens going to DO with themselves when the weather is too lousy to go outdoors?

Maybe now is the time to start scrounging around for something to build them a bigger coop that can be better winterized, and/or reconstruct part of the run so that you can roof it and plastic-wrap the sides to create a large enclosed area for them (which will also keep the food dry).

Good luck,

Pat

I feed my chickens inside the coop. It motivates them to come in when I want them, and it's easier to check for wetness and to clean up the platform and the space under it. I think you will find many of your issues solved by building your lovely girls a coop.
cool.png

Last edited:
You could try using crates...all you would have to do is nail them together so that they made a little shelter to go over your feeder. A lot of times you can get them for free if you just ask places.

Good luck...we had the same problem and ended up building a raised coop that we could hang the feeders from underneath.

Lori

Back
Top Bottom