Food Grade DE

accidentalchickenfarmer

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
Hebron, CT
Hi All! I live in Hebron, CT and am searching for food grade DE. The flies are getting out of control and the smell is becoming more and more noticeable as the weather gets warmer. My local feed stores (Mackey's, Melzen's) don't have it and don't seem to be interested in carrying it. I have seen it for purchase on the internet, but shipping costs more than the DE itself. Does anyone in CT know of local feed stores that carry food grade DE?

I bought mine from a seller on Ebay. It is PermaGuard (food grade DE). It had free shipping, which was why I choose that particular seller over others. I paid $6.00 for six pounds, but at least I have it to use. I dust my roses and such with it.

Susan

I also bought mine on Ebay after searching around here for it. I bought 10 pounds, $12 + $13 shipping, so $25 all together. A little bit pricey, but I LOVE that stuff.

I've been using it in the coop and in my house. I had ants attacking my dog food on Saturday so I sprinkled some on the floor around the food and across the line of ants. The next day, I still saw a few ants, and now today...none! I'm so happy about that. It's not an immediate killer like poison, but I feel better with it being so much safer for my pets and kids.

Yesterday, I gave some to my friend who has a 7 week old kitten with fleas. She can't use any flea meds on him yet because he's so young, so she's dusting him with DE...I hope it helps him.

I got mine from freshwater organics online. I paid 64.00 for 50 lbs, shipping included.

I asked at my local feed store, and although they didn't carry it, they were happy to order it and it is about $1/lb. Might be something to try if online shipping is more expensive.

I've read that food grade DE is in about everything we eat. It should be about 15 bucks for 50lbs. A neighbor bought some and shared with me so i don't know where to buy it locally yet. I'm thinking a restaurant supply co. may carry it. Good Luck

They want $8.99 for a 200 gram bottle of the stuff at our local nurseries, and I'm the same, shipping on EBay is like $40.00! I finally learn to pronounce it and now I can't find it. I apologize for the hijack but does anyone know where I can get it in Canada (and no, Home Depot and Home Hardware don't carry it) Boo.

Just as an FYI....

I found mine at an organic nursery. Yes, it IS food grade, not bug grade!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom