Food, how much and what kind

Jhudson19956

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 12, 2012
I have 26 chickens of assorted veriaty. I had been feeding them 5qts in the morning and 5 qts in the evening. They stopped laying and I got concerned it was a lack of feed. So, I converted a 5 gallon bucket into a gravity style feeder. I filled up that bucket Saturday and now it is Monday evening. I think that is probably a bit execsive. My birds are confined in a run most of the day only getting the last couple hours of daylight to forage. We have predators in the area and i dont like the birds out unless i am around. So how much should these birds be eating and what is the cheapest way i could go in terms of what feed i am buying?

I have 14 chickens and they go through about 50#s of feed a week. So roughly half a pound of feed per day per chicken. I feed dumor layer crumbles that I get from tractor supply to both my chickens and ducks. Its $15.99 per 50# bag.

I always count on my 12 hens going thru 100 lbs +/- a month. It really depends on the feed. I had to pick up a bag of Purina before the hurricane & the 40 lb. bag of Purina Omega 3 Plus lasted 10 days. Using my local no soy mash 80 lbs. lasts 5-6 weeks, so consistently longer than the Purina. Both are 16% protein.

Here's a great way to substantially cut into your feed bill.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/713334/growing-fodder-for-chickens
Mealworms are another option, but I only use them for treats, not sure if it could affect your bottom line. Others may have something to say about mixing your own feed recipes.
Scott
Scott; Have you tried sprouting oats yet? I have not yet but am getting ready to try. I ask because I keep running into articles (old and new) that more or less put it on a pedestal for green fodder

I have 26 chickens of assorted veriaty. I had been feeding them 5qts in the morning and 5 qts in the evening. They stopped laying and I got concerned it was a lack of feed. So, I converted a 5 gallon bucket into a gravity style feeder. I filled up that bucket Saturday and now it is Monday evening. I think that is probably a bit execsive. My birds are confined in a run most of the day only getting the last couple hours of daylight to forage. We have predators in the area and i dont like the birds out unless i am around. So how much should these birds be eating and what is the cheapest way i could go in terms of what feed i am buying?
It is that time of year when most breeds will substantially slow down laying. It is part of the process. You can look into breeds known for better winter laying though. Plymouth Rocks, Austrolorps, and most all of the production hy-breeds.

Well Mine are limited on free range time by my work schedule. The always get some time on the weekends but during the short daylight months the free range time is dramatically shortened. I am guessing that This week I will feed 26 birds 100 pounds of feed. Seems high to me. I really did like the free choice idea though. When i was feeding them in the morning and then in the evening it was a feeding frenzy and i dint enjoy that or think it was healthy for my birds. I will definately look into scott's idea.

Back
Top Bottom