Food in coop

grnhrn

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
I put a little bowl of water and some food in the coop the other night. I saw from another thread that some do not. Do you need to provide food and water in the coop to get through the night? I would rather not because both mornings everything is covered in pine chips.

Thanks in advance.

I would prefer to keep my food and water in the coop. This way the predators don't see it out in the run or smell it. Not to say that couldn't smell it in the coop, but the coop would be more secure than a run. Try putting your feeder and waterer up on blocks, or even better buy hanging ones. You can make your own or purchase them at the store. There are tons of diy ones floating around on byc. Good luck! BTW, welcome to BYC!!

Last edited:
I have my food in the coop but their big waterers outside. I do provide 3 of those Rabbit bottled water things for in the coop at night just in case but otherwise it's outside. I have ducks/geese and chickens all sharing the same coop so that's the major reason why my water is outside. My run is not covered and so the food stays protected inside.

Thanks folks. I have a hanging feeder under the coop and a water container. I think I will go back and get smaller size for the inside instead of a bread pan and tupperware container.

I have a feeder and waterer in both my coop and run. Here are pictures.
2009-18-02008.jpg
DSC00559.jpg

Quote:
I love that second pic.

I need to get some hatching eggs from you, your chickens don't poop do they!?!?!?!?!?!?!

My feeders are hanging IN the coop, so shavings don't get into them. I have waterers both inside and out, but the inside one is elevated on blocks of wood so it rarely gets shavings in it.
My chickens get up at around 4:30 AM. I'm going to bed about then! If they had to wait on me to let them out so they could get a bite to eat they'd be very hungry.

I used to have food/water in the coop, but even with them hanging or up on blocks, the food ended up on the coop floor. Mine free range from sun up until sun down, so they are only in the coop to lay eggs or roost at night. I moved the food/water to the run and am much happier now. The only food/water I have in there is in the brooder pens when any go broody or has chicks.

But I agree if you can't let them out first thing in the AM or if you lock them in the coop before sunset, you should probably make sure they have food/water inside the coop.

Back
Top Bottom