food problem

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicklover16, Jun 4, 2011.

1. chicklover16

chicklover16 queen of flirts

Jun 3, 2011
    Em's Dungeon
    I'm trying to mix my little chickens and my big ones together but how do you keep them from eating each others food? any Ideas/advice is appreciated. thanks.

2. ditto

ditto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    i am very new to this, and i'm hoping i can trust the tractor supply guy, but he told me to feed my 10 week olds and my almost laying girls grower feed, and offer oyster shell on the side. i just couldn't see feeding them seperately, because we have such a small area we're working with

3. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    By little ones and big ones I assume you mean older birds and chicks...not Jersey Giants and Silkies. If you mix older birds with chicks the least of your problem is what to feed them...The older ones will snack on the little ones. Severe pecking can become an issue and death to younger ones is not uncommon. Different age birds should not be integrated until they are about the same size, then the younger ones can safely defend themselves. There will always be fighting and pecking to re establish a pecking order, you just need to be sure one little hen isn't taking the brunt of it...As far as feed goes, Starter up to 10-12 weeks, 12-20 Grower, 20 weeks plus Layer with free choice Oyster shell. Grit should be given anytime you feed outside the starter like treats, worms, etc. If they free range they'll find their own grit but I still offer it here because finding it in the winter can be tough after the snows come. Good luck and enjoy!

4. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    The above advice is true if you do not have a mama hen. Which is why I love broody hens. If you do have a mama hen, the whole nightmare of introduction is gone.

Mama hens will keep a chick from being killed. They may get a thump of two, but quickly learn to stay out of reach and on the far side of mother.

So in that case, feed everyone starter feed and have the oyster shell free choice, so yes the feed store man is right.

MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by