1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

food questions

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gjoyner, Oct 27, 2009.

1. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

My ameracauana and blue andelusian are at least 24 weeks and are not laying..they have been doing the squat submit thing for two weeks or so. Is there are reason they arent laying yet? I feed them Organic feed and give them whatever is left of my oatmeal in the mornings (mon-fri) and give them alot of sprouting mung beans. i throw in left over veggies too. Is this ok? Is what I am feeding them making them not lay? can that even happen?
    they look healthy..and happy..lots of room to roam..
    i dont know.
    just curious.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Keep waiting. You'll get eggs soon.

3. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Quote:Im not sure why they aren't laying yet, cant help you with that [​IMG] However, it may be because the daylight is reducing, they need around 14 hours from the ovary to release an egg.
    Yeah, its good that you throw in your leftovers, its good for them, and will make their eggs ever so tasty [​IMG]
    The food wont stop them laying, but I am currently doing an experiment to see if fruit affects laying, and so far it is showing, that fruit reduces laying.
    But, what you feed them shouldn't greatly affect their laying abilities. Hopefully they should start laying in the next few weeks, especially as they're squatting

Good luck!!

eggsrcool [​IMG]

4. gjoyner

gjoyner Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a light on a timer..its set to go off at 5 am to 8am. it has made my RIR lay earlier than usual now. I'm hopeing the others start soon.
    grrrr....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by