big_smile.png

You can definitely feed chickens most table scraps. I feed mine:

• Ground carrot shreddings
• Lettuce
• Watermelon
• Bread
• Fruit skins (such as apple and pear)
• Broccoli

Definitely,I give them anything leftover/old of course not pop,coffee,chocolate ect. I take all the food and put it in a big bowl and mix it all together than go in the pen and throw it around for everyone. And they really love and appreciate it and of course it gives them a good variety and a lot of nutrition....and it saves a little on chicken food

I'm still very new at this, so I've only given them fruits (grapes, blueberries, strawberries) and veggies (tomato, salad, corn on the cob) and one piece of whole wheat bread. They have loved everything so far except for banana they refused.

Everything but the kitchen sink. They have been happy and healthy and laying for 2 years.

Stacy M - Me too! My chicken love Vienna Sausages, any pasta with or without meat sauce. Yesterday they had left over oatmeal, pork & beans, green beans, and they love left over country gravy, but hate the mess it makes on their beaks. They are always wiping their beaks side to side on the ground, they do the same with mashed potatoes.
tongue.png

I just loved reading the posts from people regarding feeding their chickens the household food scraps, some of the replies really made me chuckle and all of them were very helpful, I'll be getting my first small flock of chickens in the Spring (if it ever arrives!) and BYC has been so informative....thanks everyone
thumbsup.gif

My hens ate essentially the first stage for most of my compost (minus coffee grounds and moldy whatnot). What they don't eat mixes into the leaf litter and attracts wee critters which they do eat. I also teach and have started bringing home the waste from student lunches - lots of fruit, sanwiches and leftover milk (which I convert to yogurt before feeding it out). I am curious about all the fuss regarding citrus? My run is in my orchard and so they have plenty of access to all types of citrus - thwy don't seem very interested in it nor have I ever had a problem.

My hens ate essentially the first stage for most of my compost (minus coffee grounds and moldy whatnot). What they don't eat mixes into the leaf litter and attracts wee critters which they do eat. I also teach and have started bringing home the waste from student lunches - lots of fruit, sanwiches and leftover milk (which I convert to yogurt before feeding it out). I am curious about all the fuss regarding citrus? My run is in my orchard and so they have plenty of access to all types of citrus - thwy don't seem very interested in it nor have I ever had a problem.

I collect all my vegetable peelings and unused veg and add potatoes and cook them to give my chickens with their regular layers pellets, also i add any left over bread, pasta, rice etc. The only thing i wont give them is cooked chicken left overs, it seems barbaric to me. Also i wont give them any strong smelling things like garlic or onions as i would be worried that these could taint the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom