food thief

Layniep3

Chirping
May 10, 2020
I currently have a PVC pipe gravity feeder that has worked brilliantly for the last year. Over the last few days something has thrown all of the food out onto the ground. What used to last a few days, was gone within 12 hours today (mostly overnight). I buried a predator apron and have 1/2 inch hardware cloth enclosing the whole run. I saw one mouse last summer, but no evidence of them since. Could mice be the problem or is it probably something else? I refuse to use traps or poison and am looking for some humane prevention methods. Help!

Some type of critter - rat, possum, raccoon.

If you refuse to trap or poison - then cap off the feeder every night so the critter doesn't have access. If the feeder can be taken inside and secured, that's another option. Clean up any spilled feed that may be there too each day, this may deter it.

If that doesn't deter, then trapping is still a good option. Sorry. I trap varmints, they bring in parasites.

The most likely culprit is that a hen or hens have learned to rake through the feed looking for treats? What are you feeding? Mixed grains? Pellets? Crumbles?

Second likely is wild birds and rodents.

Get you a treadle feeder but do a lot of research before you spend your hard earned money. The negative reviews are more informative usually than the positive as a lot of people just want a chicken feeder and are not dealing with feed theft yet.

The most likely culprit is that a hen or hens have learned to rake through the feed looking for treats? What are you feeding? Mixed grains? Pellets? Crumbles?

Second likely is wild birds and rodents.

Get you a treadle feeder but do a lot of research before you spend your hard earned money. The negative reviews are more informative usually than the positive as a lot of people just want a chicken feeder and are not dealing with feed theft yet.
It’s my birds!! I refilled the feeders and those brats emptied them immediately. What would have normally lasted 4-5 days, was scattered in 2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom