Food & water in the coop?

VtotheAL

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 28, 2013
Colorado
I have a kit coop that has an attached run. I was planning to keep food and water in the run only. If I plan on locking them inside the coop portion each night, can they go without food/water till I open it back up in the morning? Or do they need food and water in the coop portion too? I'm new to chickens. My girls are 4 weeks old, so not quite ready to go out yet, but I'm just getting prepared. Thx for your help!

I have an enclosed run and coop that my chickens never come out unless I can watch them while they range, anyways. I have the food and water in the run and they go in to sleep in the coop at night and they are do just fine. The only thing about you is you have to remember to always get out to the chickens early so they don't have to wait to get some water...One thing I have noticed with my big girls lately is when I go out to the brooder with my baby chicks in to make sure they are at a good temp the girls will come out while I am in the run and have a "party" (what I like to call it), they just have a drink and maybe a bite to eat and go back in to the coop. It doesn't seem like they have any trouble waiting until mornng though. I'm sure your chickens will be just fine.
big_smile.png

I have an enclosed run and coop that my chickens never come out unless I can watch them while they range, anyways. I have the food and water in the run and they go in to sleep in the coop at night and they are do just fine. The only thing about you is you have to remember to always get out to the chickens early so they don't have to wait to get some water...One thing I have noticed with my big girls lately is when I go out to the brooder with my baby chicks in to make sure they are at a good temp the girls will come out while I am in the run and have a "party" (what I like to call it), they just have a drink and maybe a bite to eat and go back in to the coop. It doesn't seem like they have any trouble waiting until mornng though. I'm sure your chickens will be just fine.
big_smile.png
Thx! Also, I saw ur comment on another thread about the guys chickens having 'buns of steel'. I cracked up!

Back
Top Bottom