food

mnlght10

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2015
Hi everyone,

I have three chickens they are 25wks today my americanuana is laying but my other two are not I thought for sure my barre rock would be first and my Braham but I know she takes longer to mature I feeding them all organic feed laying from Costco they all love it but is it really bad for them if they aren't all laying?

Welcome! I am a newbie, but my Barred rocks started this month at 29-31 weeks, and my RIR were hatched 4/15 and did not all start laying until last weekend (three week span on nine pullets). Hang in there!

I live in SW Missouri and I have two feeds out right now for the young ones who are still growing Nutrena's non medicated grower, and I feed MFA's layer pellet. They get to free range a few times a week, and I give yogurt and odd veggies for treats. I am not fancy.

What i have done this week is give my whole flock growers food and put oyster shell in a separate feeder. I decided to do this as i only have 3 laying hens and 7 youngsters - they all get (or have access to) the nutrition they need. Before this, the youngster would eat the layers food and vice versa - typical chicken behaviour!

CT

That is better I think since the layer does not have enough protein and that slows them down. I think That happened to mine since I was told to put them on layer too soon. I only have two young ones now and they hide to eat at a feeder I put separate for them. I am tempted to switch and just put out shell like you.

Last edited:
That is better I think since the layer does not have enough protein and that slows them down. I think That happened to mine since I was told to put them on layer too soon. I only have two young ones now and they hide to eat at a feeder I put separate for them. I am tempted to switch and just put out shell like you.
thumbsup.gif

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. At 25 weeks you should be feeding your pullets layer feed whether or not they are laying yet. The other two will begin laying before long. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. At 25 weeks you should be feeding your pullets layer feed whether or not they are laying yet. The other two will begin laying before long. If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

P.S. Also keep some crushed oyster shells out in a separate dish for them so they can eat it if they need the extra calcium.

Back
Top Bottom