Fooey Bitter Spray

katieuppi

Songster
Feb 10, 2017
Pacific Northwest
Has anyone ever used Fooey Bitter Spray to deter feather plucking? We used to use it in avian vet med with neurotic parrots that self mutilated. I have 4 hens, 3 if which have bald butts. I assume the chicken with all her butt feathers is the culprit. I haven't seen it happen, though, so it could be all of them doing it. I'd rather not cull her, but my chickens need feathers for winter. I have checked them thoroughly for lice and mites. It started during the worst weather we had over the winter when they stayed inside and were bored. I'm open to any and all behavioral enrichment advice or ideas, too.

I'm also changing their diet from Scratch and Peck, which they eat none of the grains from, to a crumble that they can't pick and choose from. Hoping this helps, too.

Thanks so much!

to a crumble that they can't pick and choose from
Good move...pay attention to protein levels and overall diet if you feed any 'extras'.
How much coop and run space, in feet by feet, do these birds have?

The spray might help, but pecking is a bad habit that can be very difficult to 'cure'.

I like a 18 - 20% Protein feed. My Golden Comets feather pic with a 16% Layers feed.
I am currently feeding a Non-Medicated 18% Start & Grow with a separate container of Oyster Shells separately.
The best behavioral enrichment that they never get bored with is scattering mixed seeds or scratch on top of straw in their pen. I scatter a small amount over a wide area twice a day in their 500 square foot pen. 20180621_164222.jpg . And they scratch and dig for hours looking for seeds.
I let them free range an hour before sunset daily, weather permitting. GC

Good move...pay attention to protein levels and overall diet if you feed any 'extras'.
How much coop and run space, in feet by feet, do these birds have?

The spray might help, but pecking is a bad habit that can be very difficult to 'cure'.
Our run is 8x12 and the henhouse is 5x8 with nesting boxes off the side.

Back
Top Bottom