Foot deformed???

The little black one that standing by itself you can see her foot how the toes curl under the other one is the same way except his is a little worse or her
I don't see curling.

For curled toes, I use tape booties to correct it. Depending on how severe the the curled toes are, it will take awhile to correct.

This girl had a curled toe that was corrected within about 30mins to an hour.
20200728_092028.jpg

I don't see curling that would concern me greatly either. Keep in mind that chicks are curled up tightly in the shell for some time, and when they first pop out of the shell, it can take a day or two to "unwind" their bodies.

Once they've dried off and moved to a brooder, I'd check them again. If you need to correct toe position then, you're well within a safe window of time for doing so in the first couple of weeks. Obviously, the earlier it's corrected the better, but a week after hatch is fine.

We've done this successfully with just a piece of tape on the bottom of the foot (sticky side up against the foot and toes) then another piece of tape over the top of the foot while making sure the toes are straight, have good separation from the adjacent toe(s), and making sure the toes are not twisted. After the top piece is in place, secure the edges of top and bottom tape to each other. We then carefully cut away the excess tape a few millimeters away from the sealed edge to create a little "shoe". If you can get a little tape down between the toes for more rigid alignment of the toes, that can help too.

Here's one of the better guides I've seen for help correcting this:
https://www.heritageacresmarket.com/fix-chicks-toes/

This one is good too:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-fix-curled-toes-in-chicks.1250947/

Last edited:
I don't see curling.

For curled toes, I use tape booties to correct it. Depending on how severe the the curled toes are, it will take awhile to correct.

This girl had a curled toe that was corrected within about 30mins to an hour.View attachment 2865545
I've never thought about that That's awesome now do you put the tape on the top and the bottom or just the top

Back
Top Bottom