Foot infections

PicklesMom

Songster
Jul 28, 2018
Central MA
Hi fellow duck lovers,
A year into our adventure with ducks I am feeling so discouraged - we keep having duck foot issues despite our best efforts. Most recently this weekend, I noticed that our Blue Swedish, Sparkle, was limping and her ankle was swollen. She had been walking just fine the day before. We got her into the vet the next day and are waiting on the culture but it is either a severe cellulitis or joint infection. After about 2 days of antibiotics she still isn't bearing weight but is moving around more and more active this morning. We check their feet pretty regularly and earlier in the week I noticed a small pink scab, not bumblefoot. Since it seemed clean and not to be bothering her I left it alone, but we think this must have been the entry point for infection.

The vet was very reassuring that ducks are just prone to this, but I am wondering what more I should/could have done to prevent a large vet bill and sick duck. I didn't want to open up the scab and make a wound in the foot but maybe should have? Or just words of encouragement? :)

Thanks!

I’ve had a lot of bumblefoot issues. Some folks here are really good at doing surgery themselves for this and other issues. I don’t trust myself to do anything surgical to my ducks, so the vet is the only, albeit expensive option for me.

Give Sparkle a little more time to heal. Sounds like you are doing everything you can and that’s all you can do.

I’ve had a lot of bumblefoot issues. Some folks here are really good at doing surgery themselves for this and other issues. I don’t trust myself to do anything surgical to my ducks, so the vet is the only, albeit expensive option for me.

Give Sparkle a little more time to heal. Sounds like you are doing everything you can and that’s all you can do.
Thanks, @DucksOhio. I've also ended up bringing my ducks to the vet for surgery when needed, the one who has had the most bumblefoot issues also tends to bleed a lot. I think I am most frustrated that my friend seems to have his ducks running free in the woods without issue and I'm trying to be so careful and they still seem like they are trying to self destruct, and take my bank account with them!

I'll tag some of my favorite folks that have been so helpful for me. I'm so sorry. I know how frustrating this can be. Three of my four big ducks (others are bantams) have experienced bumblefoot. One was severe and she suffered some bone erosion for an off and on infection for months. She went to a not so local Avian vet and it cost me dearly for the vet to tell me that euthanasia was the only option (I declined her offer and quickly left). Sounds like you have a knowledge and helpful vet so I am so happy for you in that aspect. I don't let me ducks free range anymore. They have a large run and a kiddie pool. They're allowed to swim in the pond while supervised as I have briars/thorns around the pond that I suspect caused my problems. I wish you the best. The only thing I know is helpful is to provide a soft ground from them. I was told a bare dirt ground or anything that can result in abrasions can cause problems. I'm wishing you the very best. Bumblefoot can get really bad really fast. I'm sure you are a very careful and loving duck keeper. In spite of their bumblefoot, I'd say they're lucky to be part of your family ❤️

@Miss Lydia
@Isaac 0
@CoriM
@KaleIAm
@DuckyDonna

I know I'm leaving a few folks out and for that I mean no disrespect as I'm always grateful for the folks here and the help they offer. I'm out with my chickens and ducks now, so I don't have my notes in front of me with people to tag.

Sometimes they just need a bit of rest and a few soaks in warm Epsom salt to help with their joints. I've been in a similar situation where there wasn't a bumble and the foot & knee joint were totally swollen. A few days locked inside, lots of baths and rubdowns with comfrey salve fixed whatever was going on. But going to the vet is never the wrong call, it really depends on your comfort level with at-home treatment.

As a sidenote -- I make one of my girls wear bird booties that I picked up online from Crazy K Farm, she's had a lot of bumble issues where the rest of my flock has been fine.

I have treated many bumble foot mainly chickens only one duck so far. I did take her to the vet she just said yep bumble foot gave me antibiotic and pain meds and sent us home. 7 days later she still had bumble so I opted to remove. Since it didn’t have a scab which I am use to, I used a scalpel and made a small slit and I popped that thing (infection)out. Cleaned her foot applied antibiotic ointment and wrapped finished the antibiotics and she healed fine. Not saying this V is for everyone one but having a book titled “where it’s is no vet” I do know sometimes we just have to be our own. FYI this book had nothing in it about bumble foot but the title sticks in my brain.

Sometimes they just need a bit of rest and a few soaks in warm Epsom salt to help with their joints. I've been in a similar situation where there wasn't a bumble and the foot & knee joint were totally swollen. A few days locked inside, lots of baths and rubdowns with comfrey salve fixed whatever was going on. But going to the vet is never the wrong call, it really depends on your comfort level with at-home treatment.

As a sidenote -- I make one of my girls wear bird booties that I picked up online from Crazy K Farm, she's had a lot of bumble issues where the rest of my flock has been fine.
My Pekin, Honey Boo Boo, also wears a DIY boot full time. Of course I change it often. I guess my "boot" isn't a real boot. I just wrap her foot really well with vet wrap. It's made a HUGE difference for her

Thanks, all - I think my frustration is just like "why is this still happening?!" We have put in a pond and fenced off a grassy area around it, gone to deeper pine shavings in the run, no more free ranging in the yard, etc and still they seem to find whatever they can and stab their feet on it :)
I was maybe overly stressed out about this all yesterday but going out to deal with it now. As of last night (2 days of antibiotics and metacam) the girl in question was at least using the swollen foot to swim a little more though not walk on it yet.

My Pekin, Honey Boo Boo, also wears a DIY boot full time. Of course I change it often. I guess my "boot" isn't a real boot. I just wrap her foot really well with vet wrap. It's made a HUGE difference for her
Do you have a photo of how you vetwrap the duck foot? We have the crazy K booties but they have caused blisters on her foot when they slip. I can't quite wrap my head around wrapping a duck foot.

Do you have a photo of how you vetwrap the duck foot? We have the crazy K booties but they have caused blisters on her foot when they slip. I can't quite wrap my head around wrapping a duck foot.
I use craft foam sheets that are sticky on one side. Cut out a piece that's the shape of her foot, leaving a little bit of extra along the edge of her toes. Adhere the sticky side to the bottom of her foot to help keep the foot from bunching up (which I was accidentally doing at one point). Now if there was an abrasion on the bottom of the foot, I use a 2x2 coated with silver silvadene then apply to foot, adhering it with a loose bandaid on each side of the foot near the foot pad. Then apply the foam sheet. While keeping the foot as flat as possible, I use thin strips of Coban/Vet wrap and loosely wrap around the foot, up the ankle and back to the foot. I'll take pictures as I do it this evening. And get pictures of the supplies. I've been wrapping her foot for over a year now and over time have found this to work best for me and Honey

Back
Top Bottom