Foot injury! Need help!

BeakerTheBantam

Chirping
Oct 12, 2020
Hey! I've been posting a lot lately.
I just wanna know my hen's feet condition. She seems to be limping a little, that's why I take a look on it. And this is what I saw(sorry for some poop):
IMG_20201125_124328.jpg

IMG_20201125_124347.jpg

I knew right away they don't look healthy. It looks cracked and very painful.
I've been keeping her in our garage. And she's been on the concrete ground for how many months now. Maybe that cause her feet to crack?

It's quite likely concrete is causing the skin to flake, as it offers very little cushioning to their feet. If you look, most of the flaking appears to be going on at the main pressure pads, where most of the pressure is applied throughout the day. If you don't get her off on concrete, it's very likely bacteria will flush into the foot, and you'll be dealing with Bumblefoot. Get her off of the concrete, and onto something soft, that's clean of fecal matter and possibly start soaking her feet in Epsom salts, and you should see improvement soon.

It's quite likely concrete is causing the skin to flake, as it offers very little cushioning to their feet. If you look, most of the flaking appears to be going on at the main pressure pads, where most of the pressure is applied throughout the day. If you don't get her off on concrete, it's very likely bacteria will flush into the foot, and you'll be dealing with Bumblefoot. Get her off of the concrete, and onto something soft, that's clean of fecal matter and possibly start soaking her feet in Epsom salts, and you should see improvement soon.
Thank you! Do you think applying antiseptic cream may help too?

Precautious individuals may do so, but I think correcting the environmental problem, being the concrete, and looking after the foot for a while to make sure it doesn't get infected, would suffice.
Can't I use the normal salt or Betadine?? I got no epsom salt available onhand. I still need to order.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom