Foot Injury

TheBoss_512

Chirping
Oct 12, 2019
Hello! My almost 8 week old Jumbo quail has an injury on her pad. They are on 1/2” wire (8 females 1 males in 8 sq ftcage).I saw blood everywhere this morning. Complicated by the fact I think they are molting (and at 7 weeks old wth). Advice appreciated.

they are on 28 %purina gamebird and turkey starter.

Attachments

• 52BF0FB4-896F-4B87-A599-2D924C3705DA.jpeg
    52BF0FB4-896F-4B87-A599-2D924C3705DA.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 15
That's bumblefoot. Basically a staph infection from a cut on its foot. I had quite a few birds get it a couple years ago. They will die if left untreated. Check your wire for any burrs or rough spots. Check the edges where you cut it and make sure there's no wire sticking up. I ended up replacing all my galvanized wire floors with thicker pvc coated wire to prevent it....

Plenty of treatment info on the web. I believe you open up the wound and soak in warm water with Epson salt. But check to be sure. I'm sure someone else will chime in....

That's bumblefoot. Basically a staph infection from a cut on its foot. I had quite a few birds get it a couple years ago. They will die if left untreated. Check your wire for any burrs or rough spots. Check the edges where you cut it and make sure there's no wire sticking up. I ended up replacing all my galvanized wire floors with thicker pvc coated wire to prevent it....

Plenty of treatment info on the web. I believe you open up the wound and soak in warm water with Epson salt. But check to be sure. I'm sure someone else will chime in....
Thanks! They’re also molting. I didn’t think it would happen this early. Is it normal?

One of my quail got bumblefoot around 4 weeks old. To treat it, I soaked her foot in warm Epsom salt water for 5-15 minutes/day, then applied an antibiotic cream. It took a few weeks, but she recovered ok. I heard it is very contagious, so you might want to do something to protect your other birds.

My quail aren't on wire, but I noticed this one had poo stuck on her foot that she was pecking at. The next day she started limping and holding her foot up. I started the treatment above at day 3 when someone experienced with birds told me what was wrong.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom