Foot Issue Need Help Diagnosing

Melsp08

In the Brooder
Sep 19, 2022
Please note: this is not my duck!
This is a duck belonged to my neighbour. I’ve been feeding the ducks on their farm, and after having a mild case of bumblefoot on my own duck Peeper recently, I decided to check my neighbour’s duck’s feet today. I can’t tell if this is what is going on with this duck’s feet?! It almost looks like growths but I can’t tell. Im not really seeing much of a scab, just crazy swelling and rough bumps and cracks all over. Please note that I am incapable of involving a vet in this situation, as there are 17 ducks. I will continue to treat with antibiotic ointment and paw protector for dogs and cats. And any other methods that are possible. But if anyone can help diagnose and any advice that I could try at home, would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• B8C63F84-AC8C-4D19-AAE8-B8675394B280.jpeg
    B8C63F84-AC8C-4D19-AAE8-B8675394B280.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 130
  • F4A16ADF-B00D-4524-9143-21AA36CAB64C.jpeg
    F4A16ADF-B00D-4524-9143-21AA36CAB64C.jpeg
    551.4 KB · Views: 7
First, let me say I do NOT know ducks and I'm no health expert, but that looks like it might be a staph infection (beginnings of bumblefoot) or a fungal infection. I'd keep treating them with the antibiotic, and if it doesn't improve, maybe monistat or other fungal medication. Can you keep them on some dry litter for a few days?

First, let me say I do NOT know ducks and I'm no health expert, but that looks like it might be a staph infection (beginnings of bumblefoot) or a fungal infection. I'd keep treating them with the antibiotic, and if it doesn't improve, maybe monistat or other fungal medication. Can you keep them on some dry litter for a few days?
I was thinking bumblefoot too, but its so swollen and no kernel that I can see. Maybe fungal? May be either or both really. I’m devastated at how bad his feet are. I’ll keep trying the antibiotic cream (Flamazine), and I do have Lamisil as well which is for fungal infections. Maybe I should try that as well? Would you try preparation H for the swelling? I’ve read that it can help if it is bumble foot. I took apart a bale of straw earlier that was on the farm so I’ll be ensuring they have plenty of dry bedding for the next 2 weeks.

I was thinking bumblefoot too, but its so swollen and no kernel that I can see. Maybe fungal? May be either or both really. I’m devastated at how bad his feet are. I’ll keep trying the antibiotic cream (Flamazine), and I do have Lamisil as well which is for fungal infections. Maybe I should try that as well? Would you try preparation H for the swelling? I’ve read that it can help if it is bumble foot. I took apart a bale of straw earlier that was on the farm so I’ll be ensuring they have plenty of dry bedding for the next 2 weeks.
Do you have an antibiotic ointment, in the petrolatum base? I think that might help make a barrier to moisture. And if it's scaly leg mites, like in chickens, the petrolatum will fix that. Lamisil would be good to apply first, or mix in. But after all this, I'm not sure Prep-H would be helpful.

Do you have an antibiotic ointment, in the petrolatum base? I think that might help make a barrier to moisture. And if it's scaly leg mites, like in chickens, the petrolatum will fix that. Lamisil would be good to apply first, or mix in. But after all this, I'm not sure Prep-H would be helpful.
I have polysporin! Also, the Paw Guard stuff I have that I’ve been putting over the antibiotic ointment after it’s been given some time to absorb is called Dr. Maggie Paw Protector, and has petroleum, beeswax, Shea butter, jojoba oil etc. I also have Vaseline. I also have Dr. Maggie Skin Care ointment, which is an all natural antibacterial and antiseptic ointment which is also petroleum based.

Back
Top Bottom