Foot issue??

furbabies86

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
Hey my duck has been limping for a week now so halfway during the week I isolated him in a smaller place so he doesn’t move around too much and to heal better. I have checked him several times. Nothing in his foot however today I noticed his one “toe” is swollen over the rest of his. And I can see when he stands he isn’t putting pressure on that. Idk if it’s broken or what it could be but does anyone know what I can to do help him heal. He was more able to walk today minus putting pressure on that side of his foot. And he had a smaller limp than previously. This is the best pic I could get bc he will NOT let you grab and hold him. It is the foot closest in the pic. More towards the back n middle of the toe. (Don’t know actual names of the webbing and foot area)

Attachments

• 0098F5E0-A267-426C-853F-38C1528CBBA6.jpeg
    0098F5E0-A267-426C-853F-38C1528CBBA6.jpeg
    636.1 KB · Views: 15
If you feel the toe, do you hear any clicking sounds when you bend it (?) Does it feel like there may be something displaced in the toe?

It is not uncommon for ducks to develop limps; that can be most often attributed to soft tissue damage (strains, sprains) in the legs caused by tripping over objects, getting their feet stuck in things, etc. If he is putting pressure on the foot, it's likely nothing is broken at the moment.

If you can reduce the bird's movement, and keep him on soft grounds that will likely prove to be the best for healing. Additionally, to reduce some of the swelling, you can give baby aspirin, dosing at 5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight once a day. Soaking the foot in Epsom salt water every few days may also help with some of the inflammation.

If you feel the toe, do you hear any clicking sounds when you bend it (?) Does it feel like there may be something displaced in the toe?

It is not uncommon for ducks to develop limps; that can be most often attributed to soft tissue damage (strains, sprains) in the legs caused by tripping over objects, getting their feet stuck in things, etc. If he is putting pressure on the foot, it's likely nothing is broken at the moment.

If you can reduce the bird's movement, and keep him on soft grounds that will likely prove to be the best for healing. Additionally, to reduce some of the swelling, you can give baby aspirin, dosing at 5 milligrams per kilogram of body weight once a day. Soaking the foot in Epsom salt water every few days may also help with some of the inflammation.
He does not put pressure on that side of his foot. And I can see it’s swollen compared to the rest. Thank you!

Hey my duck has been limping for a week now so halfway during the week I isolated him in a smaller place so he doesn’t move around too much and to heal better. I have checked him several times. Nothing in his foot however today I noticed his one “toe” is swollen over the rest of his. And I can see when he stands he isn’t putting pressure on that. Idk if it’s broken or what it could be but does anyone know what I can to do help him heal. He was more able to walk today minus putting pressure on that side of his foot. And he had a smaller limp than previously. This is the best pic I could get bc he will NOT let you grab and hold him. It is the foot closest in the pic. More towards the back n middle of the toe. (Don’t know actual names of the webbing and foot area)
Hello,
I know this is about a year old, but wondering if his foot healed?
I am having the same issue with my girl. we went to the vet twice and she said it was not broken but to keep her off of it as much as possible.
it's been 4 weeks and she is still struggling to walk and her middle toe looks just like your picture.
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom