Foot Problem

readysar

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 27, 2011
One of my eggs hatched yesterday and out came a cute little chick... with a slight problem with her foot. It's not deformed, she's just not standing on it like she should. She walks on the side of her left foot instead of the proper way with her foot down and toes out. At first I thought her toes were stuck together from the egg fluid but found out that she's just not moving her outer toe out. I've read about "chick boots" but it was aimed at curled toes and straddled legs. Also, it wasn't very instructional. I was wondering what I should do because I know the problem needs to be corrected now while she's "rubbery" but I just don't know how to.
Thanks for any help P.S.- I would post pictures but my camera's being dumb... I'll try to get some soon.

I would make her a shoe like for a curled toe with a piece of cardboard or a tongue depressor that is cut. This should force her to walk on the bottom of her foot.

I have no experience with foot problems, though. But I have read that with these foot problems, sometimes you only have a few days to fix it.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html
see 2nd pic from bottom

Back
Top Bottom