Foot problems - bumblefoot?

lillyahoo

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2022
Two of my oldest hens (around 8yrs) have gotten sores on top of their feet, along with something that looks like warts (see pics - each is one of the hens' left and right foot).
The black spot on one looks like bumblefoot, but until yesterday it was more of an open ulcer, so I don't know if the black is just dried blood or the 'typical' bumblefoot spot. And the others don't show any of the same dark spots.

I already have one chicken in the 'sick chick' crate due to a lash egg recovery, along with 2 sick bottle-baby goats (they came that way). So the 'house hospital' is getting very full and the unpaid nurse is getting tired... But of course I will do what I can for them - I plan to do epsom salt soaks later today,.

Any advice on meds? I have a bottle of VetriPen-G penicillin, but it's injection-delivery and I'm not sure I want to try that on chickens. I'm considering trying to pick up some fish amoxicillin later today to give orally, but are there any other suggestions?

We've had a very wet spring, which I think is contributing to the foot issues.

Attachments

• Chicken feet2.jpg
    Chicken feet2.jpg
    393.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Chicken feet1.jpg
    Chicken feet1.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 2
Chickens get bumblefoot on the tops of their feet in addition to the bottoms. And don't bother with the antibiotics. They have little effect on bumblefoot.

Do the soak and try scraping the scab off with your fingernail. Procede from there to digging out the pus, which in chickens is a solid waxy material, not liquid. You may wish to bandage after applying a wound ointment to keep out the dirt.

Back
Top Bottom