Crowing
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
Any ideas on what this is?
IMG_20190929_200642.jpg
I have been dealing with this for 3 weeks now. I have soaked in Epsom salt still no improvement. I have looked for sores or cuts on the foot and I'm not seeing anything. I started antibiotics today. This is the foot of a 7 week old light Brahma. Any help would be great. Thanks

Any ideas on what this is? View attachment 1921511 I have been dealing with this for 3 weeks now. I have soaked in Epsom salt still no improvement. I have looked for sores or cuts on the foot and I'm not seeing anything. I started antibiotics today. This is the foot of a 7 week old light Brahma. Any help would be great. Thanks
Hard to see. Can you get someone to hold her and with better lighting take some more photos, bottom of the foot too?

You could try Tricide Neo for soaking to see if that will draw out and reduce the swelling.

What antibiotic are you using? Usually antibiotic treatment alone will not treat infection like that, lancing the foot and expressing out the pus may be needed, but let's see what more photos reveal.

I have no one to help me right now and its dark, but I will get more pics tomorrow. All I have is sulmet. I have some stuff call domeboro it helps drain cyst and stuff I thought about trying that.
IMG_20190929_200637.jpg

I have no one to help me right now and its dark, but I will get more pics tomorrow. All I have is sulmet. I have some stuff call domeboro it helps drain cyst and stuff I thought about trying that. View attachment 1921585
I don't know anything about Domeboro, so wouldn't be able to say if that would be appropriate to use or not. @casportpony or @Eggcessive may know.

Sulmet is most commonly used to treat Coccidiosis and sometimes respiratory illness in poultry. It might treat a foot infection. Do you have any other antibiotics you can get?

Burow’s solution or Domeboro is a very old product that has been used for decades as a treatment for painful or itchy skin and ear infections. It is said to relieve itching snd pain of rashes and poison ivy, and has anti-infective and antifungal properties. Here is some info about it:

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/Health/pages/conditions.aspx?hwid=stb117158&lang=en-ca
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burow's_solution

Epsom salts is also used for soaking feet in chickens and probably is similar to burow’s solution.

Back
Top Bottom