For all Moms--- The Useful Apron

nccountrygirl

Songster
12 Years
Jul 31, 2007
Sanford N.C.
Did your mother or grandmother wear an apron? If so then this should bring back some memories.

I don't think our kids know what an apron is.

The principal use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears .

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids.

And when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes

Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's
aprons.

REMEMBER:

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool

Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron. I don't think I ever caught anything from a Apron

The apron is magical, I wish I had one.

Well I do, but it is made out of a stiff, non absorbent type material. I want one made out of soft cotton, like thick terrycloth.

My neighbor actually commented on my apron, I told her my husband bought it, and she said "aprons are degrading to women" but what does she know?

My Dad was born in Germany, and the family moved here when he was in his teens. Nana never did learn proper English.

She baked dishes that were one of a kind, and when she was busy in the kitchen and you got in her way, she'd roll that old apron up and snap you with it.
lol.png

I can remember dodging the apron once and turning to stick my tongue out at her, only to have her pull a rag out of the pocket and hit me square in the nose. Then she stuck her tongue out at me.

I have one of Nana's old aprons, but I'm too afraid to wear it. Knowing my luck, I'd permanently stain it. Ever notice that there were never, ever any stains on those old aprons, even though they were always worn in the kitchen?

Em

Hmmm....why do most women today try so hard to be anything but womanly? I love my aprons and I wear them often, it saves the clothes and it makes me feel good...

Tanya

Do you buy your aprons or make them, Omeletta? I can never find any but those silly BBQ aprons with silly sayings.

I'd love to find an online source with good old cotton aprons.

I don't wear Nana's because I want to save it forever. Strange, I know, and my husband says I would honor her more in wearing it, but, you know. Memories and grief are strange things.
hmm.png

Em

Laura - thanks for posting that. I had read that long ago and lately have been thinking about it more and more for some reason. Probably because I'm running around the farm in my linen robe and using it as an apron and keep getting it so dirty - at least it's washable. But I'm out in the hen house first thing and before you know it - it's mid-day and I'm still in my robe cleaning house and tending to animals. I too carry chicks, egg, duckies and kittens around in it's big pockets - just not all at same time.
smile.png

Anyway, I kept thinking I wish I had that story I had read once about the apron - and here it is. Thank you so much. I want to share it with my kids when they all arrive Sunday.

Laura I love it and it is so true.....memories came flooding back. The other day on my way home I saw a woman out getting her mail and she had an apron on! I looked twice because you just don't see it anymore. Thanks so much for posting it.
hugs.gif

Does any one know how to make an apron or where to get one? I got an apron a wedding gift but it is one of those very stiff ones that people wear when they are grilling.
sad.png

I got my mom a gift card to Jo-Ann Fabrics for Mother's Day, and I also picked up a couple of these cute chicken aprons for us to do as a project together. Perfect for egg gathering!

dd.jpg

Back
Top Bottom