For all those who read and/or replied to my Chicks sitting at the PO

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hobbley_Farm, May 8, 2009.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I did pick up the chicks. Cackle Hatchery was extreemly nice once I got them on the phone. They are behind me an hour. They stated that 99% of the time they catch the cancelled orders, mine just slipped through. They said that they would refund my money. They also said Icould refuse the order and the chicks would be shipped back (and die) OR pick up the chicks and keep them for free. I suppose that is because either way it was going to be a loss to them. After some clever manipulation of a garden shed, and some extra lights, I got everyone settled in. I need to go buy more feed and a couple extra water bowls to make me feel better. Since I wasn't out of pocket for the extra shipment It won't be a problem to buy the extra supplies for the extra chicks. I'll sell them cheap and still break even on the extra supplies and feed. I'll be hitting craigslist in a minute.

Thank you to all who understood my situation and offered helpful adivce and support.

The chicks are appearing to be the following (as best as I can tell)

New Hampshire
    Production Red
    Single Comb Rhode Island Red
    Cherry Egger

Buff Orpington
    Black Australorp
    Barred Rock
    White Rock

Cinnamon Queen
    Black Sex Link
    Red Sex Link

Red Star Sex Link

Golden Comet
    Delaware X Hampshire (Indian River)

Leghorn

I was able to sell 50 this morning right off the bat. So I really only have about 150 left to sell. Which is still a lot.

I would have posted this in the original thread but I guess the thread got out of hand and it was closed. I've been busy, as you could imagine, which is why I'm only updating everyone now.

Thanks again.

2. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    im so glad for u & those babies .. ( we all knew you wouldnt leave em there [​IMG] ) i bet they go fast. good luck rehoming them

3. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Good For You! I hope everything works out for the best. You are doing the best you can. Maybe you will be able to sell some more and keep what you want.

That's alotta Chicks!!!! Thank you so much for letting us know.

4. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    Congratulations, glad it turned out ok, good luck selling them [​IMG]

5. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    I'm glad it is working out. I'll put out goog chick selling vibes for you. Those are nice varieties.

6. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    glad this all turned out well!! (for you and the chicks!)

i'd be interested in those australorps! too bad you're just about two hours out of my range [​IMG]

7. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    How far are you from say.. oh ..... Knoxville??? I have a friend dying for BA's.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Glad to hear that you picked up the babies.

I, too, got an oopsie order about 1.5 weeks ago (not cackle). I'm in suburbia, so the order of 14 probably seemed as big as your order of 200. I was able to find homes for mine very quickly, and I'm sure you will as well. Post on the regional thread under "where am I? Where are you?" section. I preferred mine to go to BYC people & friends... but then again, I only had 14 and not 200!

Good luck on finding homes for these babies.

9. Raven1

Raven1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Carthage, TN
    I am so glad this turned out right I wish I was closer I would take some too!

10. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    I love cackle hatchery and have never had a problem with them til recently when I placed an order and then changed it a week later. I know how that sounds and I felt like a butt changing my order. Anyway they shipped my canceled order of 100 at the same time as the corrected order of 100. So instead of getting 100 chicks I got 200 plus peanuts too. I was delighted to have them and they told me to keep them as it was a clerical mistake on their part.

Glad everything turned out good for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by