For all you egg shippers out there-check this out!

Couldn't one accomplish the same thing with a hole saw and a piece of foam from the fabric shop? You could drill as many holes as you needed. Get a thinner sheet for the top and bottom and you have the same thing. Cheaper? Hmm,, maybe I'll have to test this out.

I was just going by what I read on the website:

The Website Says: wrote:
"Total Foam Egg Shipper": $5.95 each in cartons of 12. The 36 hole shipper is the perfect size for larger eggs such as chicken sized eggs.. These come with the 2" thick foam tray and the 1/4" thick top and bottom foam pads and includes the USPS Priority Mail corrugated box. These are shipped within 2-3 business days and have a set USPS rate of $24.95.

Price: $ 71.40 / Each

It's $24.95 to get the 12 shipped to your house
smile.png
Then you have to pay to ship them after you pack up the eggs.

I still think I'll stick mith my bubble wrap method too
wink.png
Neat though....​

Just my own personal opinion and experiences, as I have used these before but I had way more broken eggs using those foam pad thingys than I ever have using my bubble wrap and the free boxes from USPS.

You have to be very careful to put eggs of almost the exact same size in the holes if one eggs is a little taller than the others it will get broken you can just about count on it, if you fill it full with the 36 eggs you can count on quite a few of them getting broken around the outer edges for sure but like I say this was just my experience with them other people that I have talked to wouldn't use anything else.

Hello, my name is Amy, and I'm a tightwad!
lol.png
Sorry! That's too rich for my blood. And have you ever priced foam from the fabric stores? I have!
th.gif

Back when we were doing a refit on an RV, DH and I got a severe case of sticker shock when we went to our local upholstery shop to get a few modest sized pieces for the settee in the dining area of the RV. They charge by the square foot you know! There are also varying degrees of density of foam. The denser the material, the higher the cost.

It seems to me that the foam that USPS is using isn't all that much different than what is in those foam mattress toppers you can buy at any big box store with a bedding department in it. And they only cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $8-$10 for a queen size pad. A person should be able to get about four or five shipments worth out of each one.

And TimG is right...ya can't "drill" foam. Just doesn't work! But! If you're careful, you can heat up the end of a metal rod and "melt" an egg hole in it!
wink.png

I'm thinking the biggest problem in shipping eggs is probably the lack of "immobilizing" the egg. You must keep it from being able to knock around inside of the box during transit. The second biggest problem is assuring that, if the box is hit with/by anything, it can't penetrate far enough to make contact with an egg. That's where double boxing would come in I should think.

I'm with you Warden. I love a challenge. Maybe some day I'll get my flock to a sufficient size where selling eggs will be an option. If that day ever comes, I think I have a few ideas of how I'd pack them....but I don't think they'd include these pre-made shipping containers. Just to freaking expensive!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom