For all you who've built a tractor out of PVC...questions for you.

DawnB

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
Alden, MI (Near Traverse City)
-How big did you make yours?

-Is there "too big" or "too tall" when working with PVC?

-What is the best diameter pipe to use?

-What was your way to keep it from being "floppy"?

-What's the best way to keep them anchored in the wind?

Thanks!
Dawn

Mine was an 8x8 square - but I don't anchor it and the hens are in there only when we are home- it is not predator-proof, just a way to keep the hens from wandering off too far.....

Mine was an 8x8 square - but I don't anchor it and the hens are in there only when we are home- it is not predator-proof, just a way to keep the hens from wandering off too far.....

I was thinking of making something like this for the same reason you have. It will just be like a playpen for the girls to be able to get out of their permanent run for some fresh grass/bugs.

Do you just let the girls into it then drag it where you want them to hang out? That's what I'm thinking, as long as the girls will not freak out as I start to drag them and the run across the yard.

Great pic! For me, I just need it for chicks to get outside come spring. I have a big 20x20 run for my flock and I let them out to free-range frequently, but I've got a new batch of chicks and I'll need to contain them for some outside-time

Yep, this one will be used "under supervision"...My biggest concern is the wind flipping it over. We live in a bit of a valley and the wind can get whipping through at times. We've got a lot of property and a lot of predators...so, the more stable the better. I was just looking for building tips.

Also, how do you transfer your birds from their coop to the pen? Do you just pick them up and put them under? I'm also interested like yyz0yyz0 said...how do your birds respond if/when you have to move the pen around?

Great pic! For me, I just need it for chicks to get outside come spring. I have a big 20x20 run for my flock and I let them out to free-range frequently, but I've got a new batch of chicks and I'll need to contain them for some outside-time

Yep, this one will be used "under supervision"...My biggest concern is the wind flipping it over. We live in a bit of a valley and the wind can get whipping through at times. We've got a lot of property and a lot of predators...so, the more stable the better. I was just looking for building tips.

Also, how do you transfer your birds from their coop to the pen? Do you just pick them up and put them under? I'm also interested like yyz0yyz0 said...how do your birds respond if/when you have to move the pen around?

if all you are looking for is something temp for the young ones and it will only be used when monitored. I'd consider some bird netting stapled to a bunch of wood stakes, form it into a coral and drop them in. When done for the day just pull the stakes and roll up the whole thing for storage

Pvc is more expensive than wood. Just buy some strip wood (1x3 or 1x4) and drywall screws and slap it together. It will Easily cost under half as much as a similarly rigid pvc frame.

We've got the PVC laying around from a previous craft project...but I like the idea of a netting corral. My thought with the PVC is that I could stretch a top over it...we have hawks and I don't need my cats getting in to "play" with the chicks! haha.

I'll have to draw something out...I might be able to come up with a hybrid version that just may work well. Thanks for all the ideas!

Dawn

Back
Top Bottom