For Marek's clean up, is DC& R just as good as Oxine as a disinfectant?

Thanks! I looked all day yesterday and couldn't find it ANYWARe! Local or with web search! I really appreciate it as I have 14 more chicks due in 14 days as well.

My clean up project is going very well, thanks to everyone's suggestions. I took the coop apart (anything that could come out). Threw out much of it for replacing, bleached the rest. After a rest, I then soaked everything in activated Oxine, either by bucket or by pressure sprayer. I dug up the floor, spread lots of lime, dug it back in again. Things look/seem nice and clean in there. Now it will have a bit of time to rest, before the chicks move in there, probably mid-summer. I am also waiting for a fresh load of sand to spread on top of the dirt.

My clean up project is going very well, thanks to everyone's suggestions. I took the coop apart (anything that could come out). Threw out much of it for replacing, bleached the rest. After a rest, I then soaked everything in activated Oxine, either by bucket or by pressure sprayer. I dug up the floor, spread lots of lime, dug it back in again. Things look/seem nice and clean in there. Now it will have a bit of time to rest, before the chicks move in there, probably mid-summer. I am also waiting for a fresh load of sand to spread on top of the dirt.
Awesome!!! It's hard work but worth it in the end. If you have any Oxine left, a couple of days before you are going to put them in, I would hit everything with the activated, sand incluced. Just with a tree sprayer is good. Ya done good! Most people wouldn't have gone the extra mile for the birds.

It WAS hard work. Really hard work. Gosh, I didn't know how sore I was going to be! But I felt like I couldn't possibly put the new ones in there if I wasn't going to be diligent about it.

The other thing I did was to pick out every.single.feather I could find in the coop. I read somewhere that feathers can carry the virus. So everything had to go. Hosed down all the cobwebs too that had feathers from the last molt lodged in them.

It has taken a couple of weeks, but as you said, it is worth it. It would be crazy to just go through it all again with my new birds if they got sick.

It's a ton of work. I used Odoban when I did mine, because it's a viriucide that has been shown to kill herpes virus, which Marek's is a type of.
Marek's seems to be primarily spread through dander, so yes-- any place feathers, chicken 'dust' or dander might be needs to be hit the hardest.

My coop is super clean right now. Looks so nice! The dirt floor is the obvious biggest worry, but I've limed and Oxined it and will probably do both again before the babies go in there.

Back
Top Bottom