1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

for the experts? sperm rfetention?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by bandbaustin, Mar 30, 2012.

1. bandbaustin

bandbaustin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Valparaiso, IN
    I have a swinhoe hen that I discovered sitting on six eggs. however her mate was killed halfway through this winter. Is it possible these eggs have a chance at being fertile? I took them and put inm the incubator cause I picked her up a new mate at Mt. hope yesterday.

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Time will tell.If your male was breeding her,she should be fertile.Is this a usual time for her to lay?Half way thru the winter sounds off key,but it would also depend on your climate.Were they in a covered pen with heat?I am still waiting for my hen to lay her first egg of the season.Last year she didn't lay until 4/10,the year before 3/29.I can wait,there are plenty of other hens laying and an edwards male,yes male setting on 4 eggs.Guess that's one way of getting away from the hens.
    In N.H.,Tony.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by