1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For the first time, I saved one

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by n2thestorm5032, Jul 18, 2008.

1. n2thestorm5032

n2thestorm5032 Chillin' With My Peeps

So my chick got a pasty butt, the first chick out of 4 of mine that got a pasty butt:ya, and I saved it, I have never had have a chicken w/a pasty butt, being this is my first time with chickens!!! I saved my first CHICK!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Just thought you all should now about this !!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Nice job Kyle!!!!

3. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I am new to this... What is a pasty butt?

4. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    When the poo dries up at the vent and blocks it. You have to moisten it and gently remove it or they can die. It can be caused by stress or not enough heat is what I was told. I've had some shipped chicks get it before but after a few days of removing and watching, it went away.

5. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Congrats!!! [​IMG]

6. mylilchix

mylilchix Chillin' With My Peeps

Woohoo!! That's awesome. It's such a good feeling when you know you've saved a chickie!! [​IMG] I've had one I saved from pastey butt, one I nursed through a neurological problem, one I saved from bleeding out with a broken blood feather, and one I taught how to eat. It's such a sense of accomplishment when I see them thriving now!! Kyle, give yourself a big pat on the back!!!!!

Pasteing happens when chicks get too cold, and poo start to collect around the vent. The poo will harden, and the chick can die because it's stopped up. The first week with my babies, I'd do booty checks to make sure there was no poo around the vent. Even if they had a little I'd clean them up to prevent problems.

Sonja

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by