For the Run: Wood Chips or Sand, Back and Forth! Here's a photo - thoughts?

I think I've tried just about all or most things for the chicken run and I've become a bit particular as to what I use now. It is great to reuse some of the wonderment's that nature gives us, but keep in mind in that

Thanks for posting your experience, @Chullicken ! (Sorry it took me so long to reply... it's been a busy work week!) I find it helpful to read different perspectives to learn! :)

Hmm, i sure enjoyed Chullicken's post, but have a very different take on part of it.

Here is why area of the country matters.

We are on a base of sand (sandhills of carolinas). The real sand in our cleared areas is nasty. In the pastures (7ish acres fenced) there were previously run crops - different ones that do well in sand base, poor soils. Then a few full size horses, then a few minis. When it rains here, it smells bad - even in open/cleared areas (no animals). When it doesn't rain, any watering of plants runs straight off. Even w/ no humidity (actually a bit rare), both the dogs or cats roll in the sand - they smell BAD. A brushing will remove the scent, but...

I have watched other chicken keepers purchase sand to put into their runs. And in short order, I've seen those same friends & acquaintances remove the purchased sand from their runs. Removing stinky sand is much harder than hauling in the bags, LOL.

Just about everyone i know has gone to either a deep mulch of wood chips or actual DLM.

As to products to use - i find you don't need to sweat it or overthink it. The wood chips WILL break down & disappear. Thats what you want as it will add drainage to a clay based, non draining soil (in ours, it adds good material that helps to retain water & nutrients). So you add more material, as needed for digesting the waste & pretty. Since it appears your coop run is in the backyard (seen more readily), you may not be able to use all the different materials that i have incorporated, but it is food for thought.

Our DLM

In the future, you can always roof the run. You may find, as you get older, you won't want to shovel so much. Keep in mind, too, that some chickens just do not like going out in the snow, but you can lay down straw in their run that may entice them out of the coop.

One of the things you learn during "chickening", is that if something you do doesn't work for either you or your situation, you can try other methods.

Hmm, i sure enjoyed Chullicken's post, but have a very different take on part of it.

Here is why area of the country matters.

We are on a base of sand (sandhills of carolinas). The real sand in our cleared areas is nasty. In the pastures (7ish acres fenced) there were previously run crops - different ones that do well in sand base, poor soils. Then a few full size horses, then a few minis. When it rains here, it smells bad - even in open/cleared areas (no animals). When it doesn't rain, any watering of plants runs straight off. Even w/ no humidity (actually a bit rare), both the dogs or cats roll in the sand - they smell BAD. A brushing will remove the scent, but...

I have watched other chicken keepers purchase sand to put into their runs. And in short order, I've seen those same friends & acquaintances remove the purchased sand from their runs. Removing stinky sand is much harder than hauling in the bags, LOL.

Just about everyone i know has gone to either a deep mulch of wood chips or actual DLM.

As to products to use - i find you don't need to sweat it or overthink it. The wood chips WILL break down & disappear. Thats what you want as it will add drainage to a clay based, non draining soil (in ours, it adds good material that helps to retain water & nutrients). So you add more material, as needed for digesting the waste & pretty. Since it appears your coop run is in the backyard (seen more readily), you may not be able to use all the different materials that i have incorporated, but it is food for thought.

Our DLM

In the future, you can always roof the run. You may find, as you get older, you won't want to shovel so much. Keep in mind, too, that some chickens just do not like going out in the snow, but you can lay down straw in their run that may entice them out of the coop.

One of the things you learn during "chickening", is that if something you do doesn't work for either you or your situation, you can try other methods.
:goodpost:

...Just about everyone i know has gone to either a deep mulch of wood chips or actual DLM.
As to products to use - i find you don't need to sweat it or overthink it. The wood chips WILL break down & disappear. That's what you want as it will add drainage to a clay based, non draining soil ....One of the things you learn during "chickening", is that if something you do doesn't work for either you or your situation, you can try other methods.

Hi @paintedChix ! I cannot remember if I replied to your post (my mind is off in another world these days!) but I wanted to thank you for writing up your perspective. Much appreciated! In the end we went with the wood chips and we are pleased with that choice.

It is challenging, because you end up reading so many different but good opinions/resources/experiences, etc. and then you have to go from there. Right now I'm trying to learn about diatomaceous earth. Now, we've used it in our gardens for bugs, and suddenly I read: use food grade diatomaceous earth in your chicken coop. Then I read, oh no, never use diatomaceous earth near chickens.

I'm also trying to learn about the proper use of a chicken dewormer (my chickens are still young and do not have any problems, I'm just trying to learn in advance). Again, so many different recs and perspectives!

Anyhow, I really digressed! Thanks again to you - and to everyone who weighed in on this thread. It's been helpful! :)

Thanks for your advice, @rosemarythyme - very much appreciated! Yes, I am probably focusing on the bumblefoot / splinters issue too much. (Sometimes I do that... hear about one possible problem and then I'm off!)

But thank you for weighing in on the chips in the picture. Very much appreciated! We bought a yard for the garden from our local gravel pit and it cost $42.12 with tax. (We picked it up.) My husband thinks that a yard would do for the chicken run. I'd be okay with paying that once or twice a year, but yes, contacting a tree company to check price and delivery options is a wise idea. I will do that.

At the end of the day, my husband jokes that these will be the most expensive chicken eggs we've ever eaten (once the girls start laying...). :) But that's okay!
I have a spreadsheet that tracks the cost per egg. If we include all costs. Including the coop. after 3 years. We have gotten over 2600 eggs and our cost per egg is down to 75 cents per egg. But they are good eggs.
1591980189407.png

I've been following this thread with interest. If you don't have access to fall leaves, or prefer not to use them, comfrey also kick starts the composting process. It is super easy to grow but hard to get rid of, so a pot full may be enough for most people.

I was looking up ramial wood chips...we can get something like this from our utility company when they trim trees, but we have no control over what type of trees they are. Last load we got looked like a combination of birch and fir, with lots of fir needles. If this works for you, check with whatever utility trims trees along the streets.

Back
Top Bottom