For Those of You That Milk Multiples....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Broke Down Ranch, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    OK, so I have read that goat milk should be refrigerated asap after milking and that some even will milk one, strain her milk, refrigerate it, then go and milk another.

My question is (and this is purely a curiousity thing):

Who here milks, strains, refrigerate, milks, strains, refrigerate, etc...multiple goats? Who here just milks one after the other into the same bucket until you are done then strains all at one time? Why do you milk the way you do?

Thanks for participating in my little questionaire. Please no one get ugly if you don't like the way someone else does it - keep in mind YOU aren't drinking THEIR milk [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    As a kid we milked 3 and 4 cows.

It all went into one or two buckets (sometimes three if they were fresh and we didn't have bottle calves), once they were all milked, it was strained and put into pans in the fridge... then mom would skim off the cream and pour the milk into glass gallon jugs, saving the cream to sell in town where she could actually trade it for groceries. Ah, the good ol' days.

3. username taken

username taken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    When I'm milking multiple does, I milk into a bucket, pour it into my milk can then repeat for the next doe (unless for some reason I need to keep the milk from a particular doe separate). When I'm finished with everyone I take it out of the pen, fill up their hay racks, then go inside, strain and into fridge.

Never has a bad effect on the taste

4. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I am milking 4 does rite now and I milk into a little bucket and pour it into my milking bucket and then continue on to the next. When doen its all strained and put in jars and into a fridge that I dont open cept to keep milk and eggs in...Just easier for me that way. No problems either.

5. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    is it true goats have to be milked twice a day?

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    If you are milking the goat, yes, twice a day. If babies are nursing then they 'milk' the momma more than twice a day. You can also milk once a day and let the babies suck after you get your milk.

It is the law of supply and demand. If you don't milk her she will stop making milk. If you don't milk her out completely she will begin making less milk. Once those cells stop producing milk they won't start again until she has freshened again - the next kidding.

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    We have a dorm fridge next to the stanchion...as soon as a container is full it goes in the fridge, then when we're done milking we carry it to the kitchen to strain and stowe.

8. ksacres

ksacres At Your Service

Nov 16, 2007
    San Antonio TX
    Depends on what the milk is for. We have "pet/animal" milk, that is run through my machine and bulk pooled in there. We milk out all the does, run it through a filter, and either feed it to babies, our dogs, or pig, any left after that gets bottled for sale.

Our "people" milk, we milk out by hand into clean stainless steel buckets. ONE goat, one filter, one container, straight to the cooler in a glass container. Sometimes I don't even milk one whole goat, we don't use a whole lot of milk at any one time. Usually I milk out a quart or so for our own use-the rest goes into the bulk pool. If I'm going to make cheese, I also hand milk into stainless, though I will sometimes use the same bucket for two goats, then filter. But if I'm making cheese, I usually do it right then, no chilling required.

9. purr

purr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    east freetown, ma
    Quote:thank you miss prissy I was just curious cause I'm going to be getting some goats

10. outbackfarm

outbackfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    Hi. I haven't been here in awhile. I was looking around and saw this. All my girls are waiting to kid in a few weeks. It's been awhile since iIve milked. I will have 6 to milk. I have 3 stanchions so 3 goats are in the milk room at a time. I try to go as fast as I can. I use one bucket and put all milk into the 2 gallon container with a lid. If it's hot out I will put the big container in the fridge which is in the milk room between each milking. Then when I'm done, in the house to strain and bottle. Then back out to the very cold fridge. If I need it fast I will put a jug in ice water to cool faster.

Just about 4 weeks to go for goat babies! I can hardly wait.

Kris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by