For those of you who ship eggs!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by KOTurkeyRanch, Jan 24, 2011.

1. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    This year i want to make some money off of my hens eggs after ive used what i want. How much do you guys charge per egg and how do you package them?

2. ziggywiggy

ziggywiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    McNeal, AZ
    I've seen eggs go for as much as 5.00 each plus shipping on ebay. It depends on the breed. The rarer the turkey the more money the eggs are worth. Heritage breeds are worth a little more also. I personally think shipping eggs is a little risky. Make sure you package them correctly and let the buyers know that there is an inherent risk in shipping eggs. Honesty is always a good business practise. Let people know that a 50% hatch rate is good for shipped eggs and always send a few extras.

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    I get 30$ for 6 shipped-midget whites-I usually send 7 maybe 8 if Im lucky:)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  4. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Start with a priority mail box from the Post Office (free but costs gas to pick up). I always use a soft material....shredded paper, bubble wrap, packing peanuts......in the bottom of the carton. Wrap each egg with tissue, klennex, toilet paper etc. Cut the lid off an egg carton. Place the eggs, large end up, in every other hole. Stuff the empty holes with tissue or shredded paper. Replace the egg carton lid and tape securely. Set the egg carton on the shredded paper. Fill the box with shredded paper. Seal box.

Mark the box fragil. You can either buy hatching egg labels or make your own.

Everyone does it a bit different. But this works best for us.

As for how much to charge for turkey eggs? Check the auctions on BYC, eBay, featherauction etc and see what they are selling for. Then place your listing.

5. KOTurkeyRanch

KOTurkeyRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2009
    Western PA
    Thanks! Im going to sell my left over eggs the possibilities are Bronze, Red Bronze, Bourbon Red, Bronze Buff, or Golden Narragansett. All from 4 turkeys [​IMG]

6. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Quote:What does Kevin Porter charge for hatching eggs Jim?

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by