For those who have silkies i need tips :P

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickenbuttsowhat, Jul 13, 2011.

1. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    i rescued a 14 week old silkie about 2 weeks ago when i first got her she had bad running nose and water eyes but i finally cured her of whatever was ailing her but shes really really dirty i gave her a bath yesterday with just warm water which got some dirt off but i guess shes been so dirty for such a long time that it stained her feathers cuz some of them r still dirty almost feels like that stuff that makes tape so sticky and i dont know how to get that out of her feathers so i was wondering if anyone got anytips on get her all white again and after i do get her clean how do i keep her clean cuz when i went to check on her today she got a lil more dirty lol might have just name her MuddPie or something lol
  2. ChickenSahib

ChickenSahib Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Dish soap.
  3. chickenbuttsowhat

chickenbuttsowhat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Danville, Arkansas
    ya i was thinking about that since they use it on birds that get oil on them but chickens r a lil diff and i was just scared might hurt the poor thing
  4. chicken crazed 1o1

chicken crazed 1o1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Dugald , Manitoba
    When she is clean can i see a pic of her:D
  5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Mudpie sounds like a cute name. She probably feels good after the bath. [​IMG]
  6. axion_lotus

axion_lotus Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    Central NC
    I use lavender-scented baby body wash, and it works great on all my birds, especially my silkies. It also keeps their feathers soft and they smell great after their bath. [​IMG]
  7. zengrrl

zengrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Oakland County, MI
    I use baby shampoo and it works fine. I hear for white silkies to get them whiter dog whiting shampoo works very well too.
  8. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Baby shampoo or whitening shampoo for dogs. I sometimes spray them with very watered down leave in conditioner too. Not often...after a bath...but I don't have to bathe my couple often. The only thing on them that gets gunky would be their cute little feets! [​IMG]
    I hope to see pictures of this lady soon!
  9. Squishypuff

Squishypuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Kernersville, NC
    Some Silkies are just pigs. I have a hen, Pigpen, who does her darndest to stay as dirty as possible. She's white, but she literally rubs her head into the dirt. I bathe her, she just gets herself filthy again. Incidentally, this is one reason I got her for free- LOL!

My theory is that poor Pigpen is a buff Silkie inside a white Silkie's body. In an effort to turn herself buff, she gets as dirty as possible. She needs therapy, but I'm too cheap to worry about her psychological wellbeing. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by