For those who keep all the ducks together(hens&drakes) what do you do when ducklings come?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Going Quackers, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have two broody's.. they are both "sharing" a nest and totally dedicated to this whole motherhood idea lol anyways, all the ducks are housed together.. ATM that is including three drakes [​IMG] The nest is in the barn, obviously right now this isn't an issue but when/if these babies hatch.. um, then what?

I'm fairly sure were just going to let the hens do with the babies whatever they like.. so in other words let them them raise them, free range with the flock but again these drakes worry me? especially at night... we don't have another barn ... I am aware that some drakes can be dangerous to ducklings, hence my cause for worry.

What do people do in this situation? I need to plan ahead here obviously. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Are they? The boys are a danger to ducklings. My hen is also making a nest in the coop. Everyone is in the same coop. He hangs out with her in the coop while she is on the nest. Oh No now you got me worried. [​IMG]

3. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I have heard some "can be" no clue how these ones will be first batch of ducklings lol

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

You heard absolutely right. I do not allow and will NEVER allow ducklings to be around drakes. The drakes can kill the babies. I have the mama and babies in a separate pen from the rest of the animals. They remain in there until they are a little bigger. On weekends when I am home to supervise, I let the mama and babies out to free range and walk around, so that they can see the other animals (including the drakes) and vice versa. I do not leave them unattended. I put them back in at night and continue to do the same thing every day until the babies are old enough to care for themselves and the drakes are familiar with the babies and they won't attack them and when I feel comfortable. I have not lost 1 single duckling to a drake attack since I have been using this procedure. It's been working for me.

To be on the safe side and it's better to be safe than sorry, I would separate the drakes from the babies once the babies are hatched. You just never know what could happen.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  5. satay

satay oz-e-chick

Sep 2, 2008
    Esk Qld Australia
    Agree with Kuntrygirl. Don't leave the drakes with the hens they will kill the ducklings.

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Good to know. My muscovy hen is sitting on a nest now. So I have to rush introducing the rouen ducklings to my muscovy drake and partition off another section of the duck run. [​IMG]

7. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Thanks...

Hmm.. i pretty much can easily handle night, i can crate my oldest drake.. he's easy and the bratty younger boys(they aren't nasty just annoying lol) can go in the run.. BUT not sure how to handle daytime.. mine all free range and these hens don't know anything else now...

No way to pen them... would drakes hunt the hen down with her babies in tow? were acres of land here and they wander freely during daylight hours.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. Gone-Ducky

Gone-Ducky Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2011
    Arizona
    I have two scobies setting right now and I had to move my boys they have an acre to free range but the boys hunt out the girls on the nests... kind of like the term "sitting ducks" [​IMG] they are easy game for them. I just alternate the drakes and ducks, I have separate holding pens and the pasture, so boys get there time and then the girls get theirs.

9. Going Quackers

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Your drakes are bothering your nesting hens? no, nobody does that here.. honestly the one hen would nail the buggers if they tried.. she is really protective!

10. jak2002003

jak2002003 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2009
    Thailand
    I never had any problems with the drakes attacking the ducklings if they are free range and not confined together. Some of my drakes are nasty with each other - but not the ducklings.

Just keep an eye on them and see what happens. It is normal for a drake or another duck to chase the duckling somewhat if they get too close (espically at feeding time), but the mother will protect them and the babies are fast to run away!

The only problem I have is when the ducklings are nearly mature. Then the drakes will try to mate with the ducks and chase them about a lot causing them distress. As long as they have places to hide its ok. After a couple of weeks they settle down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by