? For Those with Cats...please

Quote:
I wish you could have a picture. It would have been priceless.
love.gif

I've set up my brooder in my basement where my two bengal cats don't go. But, I've had trouble with them "admiring" the parakeet cage and cockatiel cage. I found something at my local Agway called Ssscat. It is made by Multivet. It is a canister of compressed air with a battery operated motion detector on top of it. Whenever the cats would get too close to the bird cages, the Ssscat would send a burst of compressed air at them. They learned really quickly to stay away from the birds. This might work set up next to your brooder; especially if your cats are rather tenacious.

Here is my cat that loves to hunt everything.
I had to make sure our brooders were pretty secure.
It was covered with 1/2 inch wire on the small one and a lid on the other.
She considered it her personal TV.

20741_100_1486.jpg

By the time the chickens were full grown, she learned they pack a pretty a mean peck and now she gives all chickens a wide berth, including my bantams.

20741_p1200212.jpg

My killer cat was scared to death of the peeps! I had wire stretched over the brooder to keep any from escaping anyway but he was terrified of the sound and movement of them. Later, when I had broody raised cheeps he just ignored them and has ever since. I had a new cat that attempted to stalk the chicks once but I caught him and shook him by the scruff and gave him a toss....he never attempted it again.

My best mouser had no real opportunity to get the chicks as their brooder was in a closed room and if it was open I was in there. Here he is at his most ferocious!!
44703_197.jpg

His name is Pistachio, given by my son.

I found one of my 6 month old cats sleeping in my brooder with the baby chicks. Scared the you know what out of me, she's an outside cat and must've sneaked in the house when the door was opened, she liked the heat. May I add, none of the baby chicks were hurt, and they weren't even a day old yet.

Back
Top Bottom