For WiseChicks - updates on her birdies.

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by spookyevilone, Feb 12, 2009.

1. spookyevilone

spookyevilone Crazy Quail Lady

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I'm chicken, chick, and egg sitting while WiseChicks and Alien Child are on vacation.

Lila's eyes had spit bubbles in the corners last night, but no swelling, and it appears to be gone today, so I'm assuming it was irritation to her eye from the sawdust or something. Cricket has nothing wrong with him, except for occasionally having a chicken roughly the size of an eagle standing on his head [​IMG] "Honey.. ? Honey, you're standing on my head again. Sweetie, could you maybe just move your foot a little bit.. off my head? Thanks." He just sits there, making patient noises until she moves.

The chicks have integrated with the other chicks. My little white Serama is the boss of everyone. When he doesn't get his way, he sticks his head under their tail and shoves and they go tumbling. It's pretty funny watching something half their size boss them around.

Eggs were rotated today except for the ones due tomorrow. The humidity was low, so I wet the sponges. The problem with the staggered hatch is that the ones that need to be rotated are going to have to go a day or two without, until the others hatch, or the heat/humidity won't stay stable. If the Cochins get on with their gettin' on today, I'll put the eggs due this week into my hatcher and that'll solve the problem. I'll post when we have pips or zips or fuzzy butts.

-Spooky

2. WiseChicks

WiseChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    Thank you for the update!!! I am so glad to hear that Lila was doing better!

Fingers crossed that at least a few of those eggs hatch!

Katie

3. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    I candled last night and swapped 'em to my hatcher. A lot of them were scrambled [​IMG] Most of the small white eggs with 'BM' on them. I think there are only two-three left. There's movement in a bunch of the other eggs and all but one of the really big ones.

I'll keep you posted! I keep telling Lila that I want to get a dog harness and take her for a walk outside. She doesn't seem too keen on that idea [​IMG] Her eye looks much better today.

-Spooky

4. WiseChicks

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    LOL!!! Maybe there is a whole new line of chicken items out there to be made! They already have chicken diapers and chicken saddles.... now we can have chicken leashes and chicken harnesses! [​IMG]

Thanks for the egg update. The BM eggs were the Black mottled d'uccles. Hopefully we get 1 or 2. Glad to hear that many of the others show promise! [​IMG]

Katie

5. spookyevilone

Oct 5, 2008
    Minneapolis
    One hatched. It's black and white and came out of a brown egg, but it kicked the shell under the fan so I can't read it. Can't tell if it has fuzzy feet or not. So the pipping has begun!!
    -Spooky

6. WiseChicks

Dec 16, 2008
    Hudson, WI
    WEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

How cool! probably a giant cochin!

Thinking hatching thoughts tonight! [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by