Foraging And Feed Effeciency Comparing Breeds

Funny as in the flavor, odd, I've ate them but they don't taste like a English walnut, might be how he dries them to get the outside off. He stored bushels of them in his garage the first year he got them, red squirrels stole them all Lol.
I want to plant some hardy filbert/hazlenut trees. They are supposed to grow quick for a tree.

Hmm, never thought of extracting oil from them. Lehmans non-electic catalog sells a nut oil extractor press grinder thingy. You could eat the meat or feed it to the chickens and use the oil in food or cooking or in one of them olive oil lamps Lehman's sells also. Now we're prepping!

How long have the butternuts been there? Are they still doing well? Butternut canker is destroying the species.

http://www.nhdfl.org/forest-health/butternut-restoration-roject.aspx

Hmm, going to have to check out the few I've saw many years ago while hunting. I never heard about that with Butternuts.
Pretty cool, my father has had a American Chestnut he got years ago from Arbor Day Foundation when they started trying to reestablish them after a blight killed almost all of them. A couple years ago he was talking with my father in law who did the same thing years ago and had one tree live also, they've been swapping pollen for the last couple years hoping to get some fertile nuts, no luck yet, maybe this year.

Funny as in the flavor, odd, I've ate them but they don't taste like a English walnut, might be how he dries them to get the outside off. He stored bushels of them in his garage the first year he got them, red squirrels stole them all Lol.
I want to plant some hardy filbert/hazlenut trees. They are supposed to grow quick for a tree.
we planted hardy hazelnuts a few years ago. They really grew well and made lots of nuts and spread so we could divide the clumps--put some in the hedgerows we're developing between goat paddocks. The down side is that the nuts were really small so it took a lot of work to get a significant amount of nut meat. And that the chipmunks (and perhaps other wild things) get into them before they are at the point that our information said to harvest them. Had to keep a close watch to get them before something else did. If they were in an area where chickens were foraging, perhaps the chipmunks would be less of a problem?

I love chipmunks usually. Been thinning out their numbers with pellet rifle. I keep finding layer pellets stashed away inside my garage, under the hood of the lawn tractor, around the motor of the wood splitter, etc.
I don't get eggs from the chipmunks so they have to go. Wish the chickens would just kill and eat them when their in the coop stealing their feed.

Quote:
Will have a look at link.

I don't pay much attention to the butternuts. TOo much bother to open the nuts so they are left for the squirrels to eat. But I don't seem to remember any noticeable problems with the butternuts, but now I will need to pay more attention to the details and have DH look too.
Quote: Great!! I cant tell you how thrilled I am to hear the resistant strains are thriving! Our old types are just stump sprouts, which have a purpose too. Meaning the tree grows for a while, gets killed and the stump grows a multitude of new stems = stump sprouts. Looks like a bush.

Back
Top Bottom