forced removal

I didn't mean to offend anyone about the silencing the rooster. It was late and the situation reminded me of the dog that was on my paper route. I reread what I wrote and realized now that I had had sleep how it sounded. I don't think the people who silenced their dog did him/her any favors. They were just lazy and had enough money for that kind of surgery instead of hiring a professional dog trainer and spending more time with the dog. In all the time I collected for the paper I never saw anyone interact with the dog. It was left alone for hours on a chain. Oh it was fed and look physically fine but s/he was a head case constantly whisper barking and lunging on the chain. It just made me suddenly wonder IF anyone knows of it being done, not the approval of such a practice.
But there is a surgery that can take away a roosters crow...seems like a bad idea to me..I mean it is what roosters do..Across the board roosters crow..chickens can't and don't smell each other like dogs do, so I think taking a roosters crow is worse than taking a dogs bark...I also have to wonder what is the point in a dog that doesn't bark? I want my dog to bark at things, to scare things away and alert me to danger and strangers...stranger danger! Lol...

anyway yeah decrowing roosters is not a common thing, but if you want it you can find it...It isn't very advanced yet, but if there is a market for it, it will get better...anyway I don't think they've mastered removing the roosters crow, so they haven't even started on taking away a guineas scream.

and don't get so upset guys..different strokes for different folks and all that. Some people are fine with removing something they don't like about an animal, while others are not. I'm not for it, but I'm not against you if you are.

Last edited:
I believe I read if you caponize a rooster, in essence castrate him while young, it will significantly cut down on his crowing because you change him by removing a source of hormones that causes a rooster to crow. It won;t eliminate it, but it reduces his urge to crow so it's next to null. But why they caponize roosters is usually the same reason people castrate cattle it makes them lazy and causes them to put on more weight and makes their meat softer and less "gamey".

I hadn't heard it affects the crowing, but it makes them less likely to fight over hens and you can allow them to get full grown before eating them without the meat being as tough or gamey tasting as it would be otherwise. It essentially makes them less male. A eunuch among chickens so to speak. I can see why it would make them stop crowing. I just don't know I could cut into a live awake animal's back and take out their testicles. I mean I watched the procedure and it seems like no big deal, but there's no way I could do it.

Back
Top Bottom