1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Forgot to gather eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mochicken, Jul 30, 2011.

1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I guess I should say egg because I only have one poult laying right now, I got home late from work last night and forgot to grab the egg out of the nesting box like I usually do in the evening when I get home. Is the egg still edible? When I picked it up this morning it was cool to the touch so the poult did not sit on it all night, she usually lays around 11-1 so the egg has been in there since that time yesterday. It was crazy hot yesterday though, heat index of 110 or so, does that make a difference to the egg?

I know there are probably a ton of posts on here about this but I could not find any that specifically identified them as safe to eat.

2. puredelite

puredelite Chillin' With My Peeps

Should be OK, I have left them out longer than that and suffered no ill effects from eating them...

3. dbounds10

dbounds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    If you are really worried about it you can do the float test. Put it in a pan of water if it floats not good, if it sinks you are fine.

4. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    It should be fine. I've done this before with no ill effects. You can always scramble it, shell & all, & feed it back to her. She'll love you for it! & she won't recognize it as the same thing she produces....

5. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Should be just fine, especially if the nest is pretty clean! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by