Formulating a homemade broiler ration- some ideas?

Tracydr

Songster
8 Years
I'm working on formulating a homemade broiler ration, as well as a grower and rations for my young hens. I get 16 broilers (10 Cornish X and 6 red broilers) from Ideal from the Sept 14th hatch. I haven't priced grains yet, other than to know all the grains at my local feed store are high, alfalfa pellets are the least expensive. I can get bulk beans reasonably priced at the local health food store. Looking for bulk skim milk powder, I think there may be some Mormon stores that sell it locally which I haven't checked yet. I'm also working on a possible source of stale bakery bread.
I'm a member of a RAW feeding coop for my dogs so I have access to cheap meat (.50-75 cents) which has been marked off from local grocery stores. I'll start stocking up on that, as that will be an excellent resource, providing plenty of variety, which I think is important in avoiding nutritional deficiencies. My plan will be to grind the meats through my food processor, bones included.
I need to find a source for bone meal. I plan to use kelp and ntutritional yeast so vitamins and minerals should be good. Probably some eggs, along with the shells. I also grow fenugreek, radish and mustard sprouts for the chicks until they go outside. I'll be overseed Ng my Bermuda this fall with clover, turnips, mustard, chia, fenugreek and rye. Next summer, will be overseeding with amaranth, sesame and buckwheat, with sunflowers planted on the edges for saving seeds. My garden is small but the walkways and edges provide enough grazing for the chickens I have, plus a batch of broilers, if I rotate, irrigate and fertilize carefully.
Here's a copy of an article I'm using as a template. I thought this was very helpful:
http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/poultry/bba01s12.html
Also, I have a Masters in Human Nutrition and did two years of Animal Science post- undergraduate, with an emphasis on nutrition. So, I'm pretty comfortable with this, although it would be nice to have access to some ration formulating software. I used to free-range my peacocks, gunieas and laying hens when I had more acreage, supplementing with scraps, protein sources, produce and minerals. I had excellent success with great hatch rates, laying rates and the peacocks had fabulous feathering. So, while I know many people are terrified to move beyond processed feeds, this is not a new area for me and I'm totally comfortable with it. The only new part is raising broilers and newborn chicks on homemade feed.
I also don't feed my dogs store-bought dog food and they are pictures of health.
Anyway, just working on this and thinking outside the box.

Last edited:
Hi Tracydr,

I used to get bone meal from a local butcher (until he closed down). It's also known as bandsaw dust, and most butchers have quite a lot either cheap or free, because it's a waste product. They make bandsaw dust every time they cut up a carcass.

I've raised a few flocks now on a complete home mix (except for a week or so on chick starter), but I've also made plenty of mistakes. Wish I had your educational background, but it's too late for me to go back to uni.
smile.png

Don't know if this helps you think it through (you're probably ahead of me!), but I found yeast was incredibly expensive. Skim milk was cheaper, and when soured with kefir or similar it provides a lot of B vitamin goodies as well as apparent protection against cocci.

Will you cook the beans/peas? I would, as I've seen growth depression otherwise.

I'd love to hear how you go and what the ration ends up being composed of.

Best wishes,
Erica

I would definitely cook beans or peas. I was wondering if roasting them would work and how hot/how long they would need roasting? Most likely, I'll boil the beans, at least to begin with. I did see an article about milk preventing cocci as well. Very cool! I plan on making the milk into yogurt since that is very easy.
Don't have a local butcher but wondering if I can just buy bone meal or phosphorous online someplace?

Back
Top Bottom