"fort" as a converted bantam coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bantamkelley, Nov 20, 2011.

1. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Okay so this idea struck me today. Why dont I use my old play fort from 6 years ago and convert it into a coop for my future chickens? The fort is one of the assemble-at-home things from home depot. Its a 2-story and the bottom (a sand pit) is a 10 by 10 by 4. The top is 10 by 10 by 3 with no roof. How many bantams could this hold and should I provide extra runs for them? I live near Weatherford, TX and just want to raise some awesome looking bantams for fun. I would appreciate some pointers on how the heck to persuade my dad to let me get some birds. Thanks [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
  2. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Well first of all... [​IMG]
    It sounds like it could be pretty good, but could you post some pics? I'd be happy to tell you how if you don't know! [​IMG]

3. bantamkelley

bantamkelley Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2011
    Tell me how please. I have an iphone

4. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hmmm. well I don't know if you can do it with an Iphone or not; i don't have one. I'll PM you.
    If you don't know what a Pm is, it's a Personal message. You can get to it by clicking 'Messages' at the top of the page, or just by clicking the little thing at the top left saying :Check your PM's!!

5. Mommy 2 Wee Ones

Mommy 2 Wee Ones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    North Texas
    Hey neighbor, I am in Azle!

It is probably similar to the set up my girls have. The swing side is a A frame set up on one side & the other side has the monkey bars. Does your have the slide off the fort?

If you take the slide off, board that part up to make a exterior nest box & attach it to the open space, that way you would not have to go in the coop all the time.

Does your have the rock wall to the upper level ? You could put the ramp there, and they would have easy access to the nest box where the slide was.

Close off the monkey bar opening, and put your roost from that wall to the opposite wall.

You could put hardware cloth starting at the monkey bar side, go across past the slide opening to the A frame, cut the hardware cloth to fit, then cut a piece for the A, then start across the other side.

Use the opening for the monkey bar as your door frame to get in & out.

The S hooks on the swing side, can be used to hang your feeder & water containers.

My girls just got theirs in April, but it gives me ideas in about 5 years.

6. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    A suggestion: Don't take the slide off. My hens love my daughter's slide. Under the slide is their favorite place for a dust bath. It is fun to see them all under there.

Sometimes one or two of them will decide to play on the slide. They climb up and slide back down. They don't play this way too often, but when they do it is hilarious!

7. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    For help with your dad... Convert your fort into a coop. You should be able to keep 10 chickens in there and not need an extra run. Work hard at converting it, following all the great advice people on here will give you. When your dad see show much effort and dedication you put into this project, it should convince him your are responsible enough to look after a small flock. If it doesn't convince him, nothing will!

8. Arkantex

Arkantex Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    West Texas
    Threre is someone on here that converted a kids swingset/fort into a really nice chicken coop. I can't remember who it was though. I think it is in the small coops link off of the main page. Maybe you can get some ideas off of it.

9. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it was "Steadman" or something like that. He did a fabulous with his wood playhouse/fort coop! I would definitely check it out and try to model yours after his. I'm betting you have the same kind of playset that he had. Going to hunt his page down... The Coop Design pages aren't working right now- my guess is that they are working on them, but he posted all of his pics on the forum.

10. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, the name was Steadfast! And I found his coop!! Check out this thread: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=494154

This
    link has all the pictures you could want to explain how to convert your "fort" into a chicken coop! And it is a fabulous idea, because this one turned out so pretty!

BTW, when you get to this link, be sure to click on Steadfast's "View My BYC Page" for the in depth talk/pictures. This post sure goes over it really well, though. Lots of questions asked and answered, so it would be worth it to read it all thru including his BYC page.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by